My new 375 gallon , zeovit/bio pellet upgrade.

Reefomatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning ,

If your an avid reef aquarium keeper like me , I'm sure your alway lurking in the shadows and imagining that next step , the inevitable upgrade. That elusive dream tank, and have spent hours scouring the internet looking and dreaming, at the large tank and were and how it fit will in your abode. Well eventually I purchased a deal I could not pass up from dasaquariums I have always liked their build skill and quality of the product they sell. Well I'm sure most of you have seen the 8 foot 375 gallon that has been on ebay , and local Craig's list listings etc. why ,... Well I have a 10" regal and a orange tail sub adult emporer that need some space to spread their Finns, and some of my larger colonies need some growth space.

Here is a link with some pics...Das 375 Gallon Aquarium 96x30x30 | eBay.

So I called the guys at das aquarium and spoke to the owner directly, what a champion , friendly helpful and quick to respond. I made them an offer and it was excepted. Paid the deposit and the tank is being picked up in Dallas next week, I purchased the tank stand and sump.

Currently I have a 200 cube , home of the regal and emperor sps tank , and a 240 cube , ... LPS tank. I have been slowly taking down the 240 ...it's a real challenge keeping two larger tanks , cleaning testing etc etc...also acrylic is a pain with the scratches no matter how carefull you are after 2-3 years you will have scratches and it's annoying at best. I have sold the 240 acrylic cube and will also sell the 200 acrylic cube. And have one 375 8 foot . I'm not looking forward to moving the coral ( hate breaking off large colonies) and aquascape on the 200g.

Equipment list,...

Tank specks above ,
Zeovit zeolite - will run 3lb - at correct flow etc.
dosing basic to start and then will continue as I reach the various stages.
I will also run 500 ml biopettlets , why well I a have been running the combination for around a year on the 240 and I really like the results... But this is a subject for another forum.
Sump as I like a as little as possible live rock, in the display and more larger colonies, I will run two sumps a 100 gallon as drain and live rock sup , approx 300lb and 70+ in the display. I will also use the das sump that looks like a 80 gallon, for zeolite reactor , 5000sss bm , with neck cleaner, Passive carbon and internal mag 24 return pump. If I can fit a 50 gallon grow out in will also set this up.

Controller : reef keeper
Top off: gravity. Perhaps with Kalk not sure if I can figure a way to keep the Kalk supply consistent.
Dosing 3part.
Lighting : currently have 5 reefbreeders over 200 so I will most probably, just add additional 3 reefbreeders and sell the 4 radions 1 on the 240. Or a combination.
Flow .... Two wp 40's back and two mp 40 sides.
Substrate 1-1.5 inch reef flakes mixed with Florida large white substate...

Why zeo as apposed to macro, well I like zeo , if done right in my opinion it's the premium product for three reasons;
1: no or very little Caroline algue, clean look, easy to get great growth and color.
2: no macro tank required or the associated smell or fish room.
3: less work and headache.

This is a personal opinion , I know there are many other method to achieve the result this is just my preferred method.

Below is the current 200 gallon .... Older photo,....

image.jpg

This is my fist tank of this size so any advise or experience is appreciated. Will be updating the post on progress and setup.

OP
OP
R

Reefomatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move in day was a challenge took 8 strapping lads to get the tank in place, steel stand is well built and the 3/4 lass it's stunning 1 1/4 bottom , I like the top bracing , overflow.

Circulation : mp40 ... Does not like the 3/4 glass , 2x wp40 ... Full speed. --- on order are two mp60's... Return is 2000gph at the return to the tank.
Substrate : unfilled travertine.
2 week zeo cycle done. Fish added between day 10 and 15 and some LPS day 15. Clown tang going in tomorrow, currently in Diatom bloom.
Fish : purple tang and 5 cromis., starry Bennie , + 30 snails and red scarlet hermit crabs.
Rock. : + 90lb " purki" and zeo cured marine pure block in sump+ 30lb zeo seed rock.
Filter: 3l zeolite and 1/4 pound biopellets.
Carbon added and poly filter.
Lighting 6 x reefbreeders.

Skimmer 3000sss,... ext 5000 on order arrive Wednesday next week, and rio 1700 feed pump.

Overall I like the bare bottom or travertine bottom, amazing how much waist is accumulated, easily sucked out and disposed.

Terrible pics : blues are on and color off will take some pics of brown mess tomorrow. Moving from acrylic to glass is worth the trouble.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
R

Reefomatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some better pics ----- loads on diatoms .... Took out the silica buster from my rodi and replaced with with di resin.... Think this is the cause...

What do you guys think of the aquascape, the big rock on the right side on the back wall needs to come out ....?

Suppose rather diatoms than hair or other.... Used almost 50 ml sponge power to cycle.... Only one cromis died so far....

All parameters were zero , nitrate at 10ppm this am... Before zeo doses, Phosphates at 0.09 ppm, alk at 9.5 dropping slowly Waiting for 8 ppm before connecting the dosing system.

As this is my garage tank , I dont think I will have the stand covered, I just added the wooden bracing to be able to attach the panels,...

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
R

Reefomatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are starting to look better, diatom bloom is comming to an end and some patches of hair algae, starting up.

Wp 60s in , still have not connected new skimmer... Circulation = 2x wp40, 2xwp60 , mp40 soon remove.

Fist large fish added,... Think you can see him in the pics....All parameters stable...

2 issues remain,...

1) Alk at 9.016 expecting to drop to 7 dkh before hooking up 3 part dosers, another week...
2) po4 at 0.35ppm - started running gfo - to help get below 0.10 and let zeo do the rest. Must have been the rock or travertine that released the po4.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back