My new arrow crab died today...any ideas? Help!

hakuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya,

My arrow crab has been in my tank for exactly one week. I just looked in and he had just sort of collapsed over and died. ARGGGH! He was fine the whole week. Got adjusted pretty quick and was traipsing around the tank. I was worried that he wasn't feeding enough (didn't like Formula Two), so I put in a table shrimp strapped to a rock and he ate on that overnight the night before last. Seemed pretty happy about it too. I took the remains of the shrimp out yesterday morning. Today I came home from work and he was alive on top of the rock where he hangs out. I came back after a couple of hours and he was dead.

I took a good look at the body and can see nothing at all that looks suspicious other than he was missing the "thumb" off one of his claws. Could have happened when I pulled him out of the rock, but I'm not sure.

All my hermits are fine, the emerald crab is fine, the peppermint shrimp just came out to feed. I checked the parameters just now and Ammonia and Nitrite are zero. Nitrate is pretty much zero as well.

I have a 90 gal tank setup with a 30 gal sump, GAC and GFO reactors, Reef Octopus Skimmer, JBJ 1/4h chiller and a Vortech MP40.

Any ideas? I'm a new reefer and this tank is newly setup, but the rock is fully cycled (cycled it for 4 months actually, watched the cycle happen, and I know it's done....).

Are arrow crabs particularly sensitive to anything? Could it be stress from the move a week ago? Did he need to eat a bunch more?

I'm sad to lose my first animal and I'm worried about the rest....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Gary

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back