my new baby... AKA The Café

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I don't have a big problem atm. I used Aiptasia X on a couple of them and while they died they seem to have spawned a few more, so I'm looking to get a handle on it early.
I constantly hear and read bad thinks about Aptasisa X. I used F Aptasia on the one I had and never saw a single baby. Til this day, that is the only aptasia that has ever been in my tank! It works well for majanos as well

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like you have a good plan. I think having one (Berghi nudibranch) would save you time on having to chase and kill the problems....Plus they can get in all the nooks and crannies you can't or can't see into....If I had your problem, I would get one, but this is just my thoughts on what I would do...
Depending on tank size, and how big your aptasia are, I would advise to grab a few more than one. I know they are expensive, but they do hunt in teams and will work together on larger ones. They also will breed in the home aquarium.

Original owner of my bowfront brought in 3 at one point to clear the rock. About 3 months later, no more aptasia, and he was able to pull 5 or 6 out and sell them. They reproduced and paid for themselves.

I have no aptasia on my rock still.

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We set the base down (two reds and two purples) but two opposite corners were lifted when the opposite has weight in it. So, essentially, it would rock back and forth
I'm sorry to hear that J.

If you have a flat top (disregard everything that follows if the top is not flat), and wobbling base, and are not going to get new straight wood, you could in theory get a set of heavy duty adjustable leveling feet. Install them on the four legs and using levels, adjust the feet a half turn at a time until the (flat) top is level in both planes. You would then add the comparable load up the stand, and check/adjust again.

It's not ideal, but it would work imo.

@sp1187 thoughts?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s how they all go pretty much , do such a good job that they eat all aptasia and starve and then usually aptasia makes it back in and back to square one lol
Have you had this experience? I've never had them myself, but heard once all the food is gone, they are very active, often climbing glass at night hunting. Seems many people are able to get them back out after.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you have a flat top (disregard everything that follows if the top is not flat), and wobbling base, and are not going to get new straight wood, you could in theory get a set of heavy duty adjustable leveling feet. Install them on the four legs and using levels, adjust the feet a half turn at a time until the (flat) top is level in both planes. You would then add the comparable load up the stand, and check/adjust again.

@sp1187 thoughts?
small tank.
shims and foam board?
shims take out the wobble.
foam board and the tank finds level.
doesn't look great.

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@sp1187 thoughts?
I like that idea a lot and my wallet does too! I think this just may be the way to go! I’ll triple check it first, but, as far as I’m aware, the top will be flat and level.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on tank size, and how big your aptasia are, I would advise to grab a few more than one. I know they are expensive, but they do hunt in teams and will work together on larger ones. They also will breed in the home aquarium.

Original owner of my bowfront brought in 3 at one point to clear the rock. About 3 months later, no more aptasia, and he was able to pull 5 or 6 out and sell them. They reproduced and paid for themselves.

I have no aptasia on my rock still.
Good to know, thanks. 2 makes a bit more sense.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had this experience? I've never had them myself, but heard once all the food is gone, they are very active, often climbing glass at night hunting. Seems many people are able to get them back out after.
Yes this was my experience , I just got two of them For 40g. Cleared all aptasia within a month , I saw them on glass just once then never appeared again lol I had a Spanish hogfish at the time so it could’ve ate them after aptasia gone

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
small tank.
shims and foam board?
shims take out the wobble.
foam board and the tank finds level.
doesn't look great.
This would definitely work too! At this point, I’m okay having a stand that isn’t perfect just so I can set up the new tank and sump. I can eventually try again with better/straighter wood, or have one custom made (if I ever have that kind of money). I was thinking that if it looked bad, I could maybe wood glue thin “sheets” of wood around the tank to enclose it, hiding some imperfections. Im not sure that it'd work, but it’s a thought.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lunch time.
back in a few.
hungry discovery channel GIF by Discovery Europe

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would definitely work too! At this point, I’m okay having a stand that isn’t perfect just so I can set up the new tank and sump. I can eventually try again with better/straighter wood, or have one custom made (if I ever have that kind of money). I was thinking that if it looked bad, I could maybe wood glue thin “sheets” of wood around the tank to enclose it, hiding some imperfections. Im not sure that it'd work, but it’s a thought.
So long as it is structurally sound, there are many shades of lipstick we could throw on a pig to dress it up.

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long as it is structurally sound, there are many shades of lipstick we could throw on a pig to dress it up.
That’s what I care about. I’ll be admiring my coral too much to care what the bottom of my stand looks like. Eventually I’ll paint fish and coral all over the stand so it’ll be hidden one day!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back