My New Biocube 32 Gallon

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, been a while since I been on the forums. Went through a renovation in my house and not alot of time. I'm back now and settled and started a 32 Biocube over the holidays.

Cycled for approximately 8 weeks. I used some dry live rock I re cured and Caribsea Pink live sand as well as Bio-spira instant ocean.

I have a small zoa colony I moved from my mantis tank and a small King Tut zoa frag (added last week) and two zoa frag which were not doing well in my mantis tank, but are now recovering in this one.

Clean up crew is 4 nessarius snails, 2 margarita snails, 2 astrea snails, 2 cerith snails and 1 turbo. 2 African hermits, 1 scarlet hermit and one zebra striped hermit. 1 emerald cran and 2 blue porcelain crabs.

I have a yellow watchman goby and tiger pistol shrimp (paired). 1 black O clownfish and one Gladiator clown.

I also added 2 bubble tips anemones (it was a crazy good deal and they look like their rainbows)!I got two for $70 from a local guy. I realize that its early to out them in the tank, but after a week and 2 days they're looking good!

I'm not currently running a skimmer. I'd love feedback on whether I should add one or not?

I have not replaced the in tank stock tray and am currently only using some carbon and the stock filter. I'd also appreciate some feedback on how it improve my filtration game.

Parameters:
Ph - 8.2-8.4
Nitrites - 0.0
Ammonia - 0.0
Nitrate - 5.0-10.0

I have not done a water change yet. As you can see from the pictures a little bit of green/brown algae on the Sandberg. Not sure if it's diatom?

Any and all feedback welcome.

And please, take it easy on me lol

20210216_161337.jpg 20210216_161328.jpg 20210216_161322.jpg 20210216_161315.jpg

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to R2R.

If the 32 is like my 16 gallons there is a false floor in the first chamber you can remove. Then you can put your heater in there. I use an InTank media basket that I have filled with ClearFX Pro and Purigen. You’ll have to find a skimmer that fits with the lid on unless you plan on modifying the top.

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to R2R.

If the 32 is like my 16 gallons there is a false floor in the first chamber you can remove. Then you can put your heater in there. I use an InTank media basket that I have filled with ClearFX Pro and Purigen. You’ll have to find a skimmer that fits with the lid on unless you plan on modifying the top.
No plans to modify the top. I will do my research on a skimmer, so I guess your suggestion is to go with one!

I'm leaving the heater in tank because if I put it in the back, there's no way I can read the digital display and I don't want to add a seperate digital reader.

I'm not familiar with clearfx pro, so I'll look it up. I've used purigen before.

Thanks for the tips! Greatly appreciated!

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No plans to modify the top. I will do my research on a skimmer, so I guess your suggestion is to go with one!

I ran a skimmer in my BioCube 16 since I started. I had to run it in the display because the back wasn’t big enough for anything. I’ve been skimmerless for 3 weeks now. Got tired of the micro bubbles in my display. Do you need one now, probably not.

Anytime. Always here to help.

If the false floor is there, you’ll want to pull it so you can suck the detritus out of the bottom whether your heater is there or not.

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Biocube 32 for over 6 months. Never added a skimmer. IMO it does not need one. However, I would do as reefiniteasy suggested and get an InTank media basket. Money better spent on that than a skimmer.
I guess I can just google the biocube intank media basket and I'll find it, correct?

OP
OP
PTVinnyMac

PTVinnyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go!
Hey Mrbacony, could you tell me when using the media basket, I no longer need to use the standard filter that comes with the tank, correct? The filter floss, purigen and chemi pure is all I should use right?

And what about the beneficial bacteria in the old filter? Or do I just not worry and toss it?

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct. Change out the filter floss about once every 4 days or when it starts to get really dirty.
as long as your tank has cycled, you don’t need to worry about the old filter. Just toss it.

Parker Kufel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, been a while since I been on the forums. Went through a renovation in my house and not alot of time. I'm back now and settled and started a 32 Biocube over the holidays.

Cycled for approximately 8 weeks. I used some dry live rock I re cured and Caribsea Pink live sand as well as Bio-spira instant ocean.

I have a small zoa colony I moved from my mantis tank and a small King Tut zoa frag (added last week) and two zoa frag which were not doing well in my mantis tank, but are now recovering in this one.

Clean up crew is 4 nessarius snails, 2 margarita snails, 2 astrea snails, 2 cerith snails and 1 turbo. 2 African hermits, 1 scarlet hermit and one zebra striped hermit. 1 emerald cran and 2 blue porcelain crabs.

I have a yellow watchman goby and tiger pistol shrimp (paired). 1 black O clownfish and one Gladiator clown.

I also added 2 bubble tips anemones (it was a crazy good deal and they look like their rainbows)!I got two for $70 from a local guy. I realize that its early to out them in the tank, but after a week and 2 days they're looking good!

I'm not currently running a skimmer. I'd love feedback on whether I should add one or not?

I have not replaced the in tank stock tray and am currently only using some carbon and the stock filter. I'd also appreciate some feedback on how it improve my filtration game.

Parameters:
Ph - 8.2-8.4
Nitrites - 0.0
Ammonia - 0.0
Nitrate - 5.0-10.0

I have not done a water change yet. As you can see from the pictures a little bit of green/brown algae on the Sandberg. Not sure if it's diatom?

Any and all feedback welcome.

And please, take it easy on me lol

20210216_161337.jpg 20210216_161328.jpg 20210216_161322.jpg 20210216_161315.jpg
In my biocube 32 which has been running for just over a year now, I have removed the lid, and added a Red Sea light on top. I have the heater in the back right hand chamber, along with bio balls and filter media in the mid chamber. i tried running the Ice Cap K1 Nano Skimmer but had no luck with it and it was too big for the back chambers. I recommend down the road removing the lid and adding a nicer light if you get some more light heavy corals. I have had great luck with my tank and have put plenty of research into it. Now cycling in my main room is a Red Sea Reefer 200 XL. on The bio cube i did water changes only about once a month which I found worked better then once every 2 weeks. if you take the lid off evaporation is crazy lol. the cube hood lights did not do a single good thing for my tank other then producing algae. The light upgrade was the best thing I ever did for that tank. Good luck and check my page for any insights about bio cubes. This picture was from a while back. Much has changed since but it’s just to give a look. Thanks and good luck.

Attachments

• 69125CC4-1113-4685-BECB-4BCA2537EDD2.jpeg
    69125CC4-1113-4685-BECB-4BCA2537EDD2.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 43

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back