My new clown fish are hanging at the bottom corner of my tank

luceym

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I just need a bit of reassurance, I have had a pair of clownfish for almost a week now, and they are about an inch and a half in length. They seem to be eating fine, first few days surprisingly they were swimming about and now they hang about at the bottom front corner of the tank and lie there sometimes. They look healthy. The water parameters are perfect. They have plenty of places to hide, I just wish I could get a proper host but the tank isn't mature enough yet. Any suggestions.

20210810_181543.jpg

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown fish does the same thing in one corner of the tank. Never wanted anything to do with any other potential hosts. He swims around sometimes, but mostly just hangs out and defends his corner.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 clowns are now 8 months in the tank and still hang out around the back of my tank behind rockwork.

Would love for them to stay out front swimming but really only come out for a feed, other than that hiding out back.

They were babies when I got them less than an inch long, now well over an inch long.

Just let them be, they are funny creatures and for you its a new environment for them.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns be clownin'. I've had two young clowns for three weeks, and they've basically lived in a corner of my tank the entire time. They only come out for food. I don't have anything to host yet either. Seems pretty normal.

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I just need a bit of reassurance, I have had a pair of clownfish for almost a week now, and they are about an inch and a half in length. They seem to be eating fine, first few days surprisingly they were swimming about and now they hang about at the bottom front corner of the tank and lie there sometimes. They look healthy. The water parameters are perfect. They have plenty of places to hide, I just wish I could get a proper host but the tank isn't mature enough yet. Any suggestions.

20210810_181543.jpg
If you have no hang ons in tank id get a nem,pretty much any bubble tip. If you do have hang ons get a elegance coral,big leather,big chalice.they will try and get hosted by pretty much anything soft. Nems are tricky,cant have any tubes or exposed powerheads but your tank doesn't need to be matured to have them.just remember nems move alot.

OP
OP
luceym

luceym

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no hang ons in tank id get a nem,pretty much any bubble tip. If you do have hang ons get a elegance coral,big leather,big chalice.they will try and get hosted by pretty much anything soft. Nems are tricky,cant have any tubes or exposed powerheads but your tank doesn't need to be matured to have them.just remember nems move alot.
I thought the tank needed to be matured, what lighting do I need?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the tank needed to be matured, what lighting do I need?
The tank needs to be stable, the notion of "your tank has to be running for at least 6 months" isn't necessarily true. I think it's just easier to say that than to elaborate on what a stable system should be. I've had success keeping bubble tip anemones in tanks that were running for less than 3 months. The clowns won't always go right for the anemone though, I've had 2 little ones living in a 10 gallon with a green BTA and they haven't done much other than look at it funny lol

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend to start with a cheaper BTA like a green, nems are just as weird as clowns and it would suck to start with an expensive anemone and watch it hate life

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have been doing this for 2yrs + now. Got them when they were thumb size.

in the wild they find a spot and rarely move 2-3 ft away from it.

they are just cutely weird like that

OP
OP
luceym

luceym

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on the topic of anemones whst lighting do I have to have? Or if anyone knows anything about caring for
anemones

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming out a bit more now
You don't need anything special for nems, if your lights keep any coral happy its good enough, nems are super hardy ive had them in tank that were running weeks to months,its just keeping it stable,but I mean pple have crashed there tanks plenty of times and nems and zoas have survived no problem. Just really need to keep a eye on them if you have return hoses,exposed powerheads. They will move all over the place,they usually stay put if they host your clowns.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 37 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back