My new heteractis magnifica anemone

AD87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
To give you a background I have been trying to successfully keep this species for a long time. I have tried multiple times, most of my try were from vendors online (which I think was my issue). I have even tried to treat these anemones with Doxycycline in the past which is a type of antibiotic with no success.

Okay Sunday I went to my local fish store on hopes that they still had this anemone available. My friend Sean told me that have had this thing in the stores greenhouse for at least 1 month. When I went to the store they had it all the way at the top of the vat in a makeshift basket. So I put my hand to see if it felt sticky, which it was. The mouth was a little open but I couldn’t resist so I made the purchase. Below are some pictures on day 4, let me know what you think. I have bumped my lighting period down to 5 hours a day for light acclimation.

Copy2oftony002.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
OP
OP
AD87

AD87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I cant upload images from photobucket, can anyone help.

OP
OP
AD87

AD87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yeah thanks guys im not out of the woods yet I just bought some seacon that I will use with some shirmp. Its mouth is not closed tight.

O/T- How do I post pictures?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking anemone.....They really like high light and have a tendancy to seek out the highest point in the tank. So keep an eye on it and way from pumps and returns.....A lfs gets them from time to time and had to re do the tank they keep them in cause they were always up by the water line.....Good luck, keep us posted...

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
arent ritteri's the most prone to moving around?
i remember my lfs guy telling me that when i was first interested in anemones when i started the hobby
cool looking guy and hope he makes it

OP
OP
AD87

AD87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Still doing good so far it takes mysis shrimp, its super sticky!

Fate, I dont know if they are prone he has stayed put since the first day. I really want him to outgrow the tank I dont care if he uses all of the 75 gallon.

dbarker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Karen of Karen's rose anemones feeds hers silver sides. Is that something you would do or do you perfer mysis and why? I am just wondering because I have killed 3 of them. I really like them but since my track record is not good I want to find out what I am doing wrong before I try again.

Your anemone is beautiful , good luck!

Debbie

GSMguy

High Desert Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
silversides are a bad idea IME, they tend to be a bit rotten if the anemone is capable of catching and eating PE mysis you are much better off.

i have heard of a couple very special anemones losing their lives to bad silversides.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
silversides are a bad idea IME, they tend to be a bit rotten if the anemone is capable of catching and eating PE mysis you are much better off.

i have heard of a couple very special anemones losing their lives to bad silversides.

Totally agree, I have read quite a bit and have a few books on anemones and in most of the books it talks about how most anemones actually eat small shrimps, large plankton, bit's of prey that fall on them from larger predators eating. That most stomach extractions proved they don't eat large fish(in most cases) and that large pieces that we feed them would never happen on the reet due to the competion for food. That these large pieces would be eaten before it would ever have a chance to fall into the anemone. Since it is more natural for them to eat small food that is what we should feed them in my opinion. A Lot of time anemones will die because the large chunks we feed them are to big and begin to rot inside them because the anemone can't digest the food fast enough then it's all down hill from there....

GSMguy

High Desert Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another good food source for haddoni/mertensi/gigantea/magnificas and crispas is Polychelate worms (bristleworms),

its pretty easy to breed them in a 10G tank with live rock rubble and a small powerhead, they dont need light or heat or filtration even. just drop a frozen shrimp in there once a week or so.

everyone has them in their tank to start the tank just look under a rock im sure there are a couple fat ones chilling right there.

OP
OP
AD87

AD87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I agree with everyone here, silversides are a bad idea. I do go get some fresh scallops and shrimp from time to time. I cut all my food up tiny.

I need to get some better shots

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 101 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%

Back