Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y'all,

I just got my new phosphate checker. Here's the image:

Phosphatechecker013.jpg

I used to use Salifert test kits. Although the test results always appeared zero, as you know, it's not easy to decipher the color of water with the printed color chart. So after hearing a very good report on the Hanna's checker from a trusted reefer in Nashville frag, I decided to aquire the checker.

Here's my result in ppb (not ppm). Drum roll please... TaDaa:

Phosphatechecker014.jpg

To get a ppm result, you have to divide it by 1000. So, it must be 0.007 ppm :)

This gotta be the "Agae Power" 1smile1

A sump-ful of chaetomorpha and a bunch of bubble algae in the display tank :eek:h:

I was expecting more like 0.1 or 0.2 ppm at least, knowing that I have not replaced my Iron oxide phophate remover for at least a few months. I also have a bag of old activated carbon (like 3 months old) in the sump. On top of it, I implusively added a foxface and a powder blue tang - my very first tang :kiss: to my already full lineup of little fishes.

1-9-11Frags047.jpg

My foxface has actually cleaned up a lot of small bubble algae now. I will take another reading in a week or two and see if the value changes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Mariner.

Poolkeeper1 reminded me about the conversion factor to convert phosphorus in ppb to phosphate in ppm. I need to multiply the phosphorus value by 3.066 and divide the result by 1000. So my phophate value is 0.0214 ppm actually. I guess I need to replace my Phos remover media in a little while.

I am very pleased with my powder blue tang. I am glad H@rry told me about it :).

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:/ ur lucky yours is working right atleast your getting a number i feed my sps tank heavey with just a skimmer and amino acids and with my checker i get 000 : / so idk if i can even trust it.

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear I read an article that talked about carbon eventually releasing phosphates and everything else it might have pulled out of the water after a certain period of time. I can't remember what the time frame was. I know it's more than a month because I change my carbon once a month and that was in the limit. I don't think I'm making this up. Can anyone else confirm?

My point being... maybe you just need to change your carbon more frequently.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Activated carbon typically turns into a biological media when left in an aquarium. It becomes saturated over time and starts to desorb some of the material it adsorped. It's hard to figure out the time frame because there are too many variables. I usually replace my activated carbon within a month. This one just happened to be hiding in the sump.

I am amused about the reading because Salifert test kit always read zero. Since all my SPS's are looking great and vividly colored, I am not too concerned about my water quality. As a matter of fact, their color seems to have improved in the past month or so after I added a foxface and a powder blue tang. Needless to say that I am feeding a lot more now, and I am not skimming aggressively.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphorus checker has a better accuracy at the low range:

Phosphate Checker:
Range: 0-2.5ppm, Resolution: 0.01ppm, Precision: +/-0.04ppm

Phosphorus Checker: (converted to Phosphate {/1000*3.066})
Range: 0-0.61ppm, Resolution: .0031ppm, Precision: +/-0.015ppm (+/- 5 ppb)

It is also less expensive.

UniReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind if I ask where you purchased yours? Everywhere I look the price is the same for Phosphate and Phosphorus.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from Amazon because their free super saver shipping made the overall cost the lowest. The phosphate checker that I am talking about is Hanna Instrument Low Range Photometer which costs 199.00.

Here's an article about Phosphorus checker (the green egg) against the upper class Hanna's multimeter C203:

Hanna Phosphate Checker Review: notable compromises still worth the resolution and portability

I would love to have a C200 multimeter, but I cannot afford such an expensive instrument.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back