My new wrasse is struggling

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drip acclimation generally lasts around 1 hour, involving a basic float acclimation for about 15 minutes, then the remaining 45 minutes with the drip acclimation at 1-2 drops per second. The entire process should not take over an hour, as far as I know.

And yes, quite a large number of suppliers do run their fish at lower salinities, best to check before ordering.

Sometimes Fairy and Flasher Wrasses just don’t ship as well as some other fish do, hardy once in the tank, but before that there is a risk.

Sorry for your loss, and I hope you have good luck the next time you decide to try one.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be really into Fairy and Flashers, they’re stunningly beautiful but unfortunately don’t live long enough for me to appreciate and can be sensitive during transport. :(

That’s why I’ve decided to go with a Twinspot or Red Stripe Hogfish instead. xD

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be really into Fairy and Flashers, they’re stunningly beautiful but unfortunately don’t live long enough for me to appreciate and can be sensitive during transport. :(

That’s why I’ve decided to go with a Twinspot or Red Stripe Hogfish instead. xD
I was really looking forward to this guy reaching my display. I'd love a blue fish in there, but I don't like chromis/damsels and the tank's too small for a hippo tang. :'(

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re really beautiful fish indeed, so if you love them then by all means go for them. I really wish you better luck next time. :( And by the way I think it’s okay to keep Fairy and Flasher Wrasses together as long as it’s not the aggressive species (I’m not sure which ones are more aggressive though).

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He died overnight. So the lesson here is that many fish travel in much lower salinity than I expect, and a 30min drip acclimation is far too short?
So sorry for your loss. Heartbreaking.
It's pretty normal that many shippers will send fish at around 1.015 salinity, LIve Aquaria for example has done that the last few times I've gotten fish from them.

So you match your QT's salinity to the incoming fish's salinity. Pretty easy to do. Cut a small slit in the shipping bag then use an eyedropper to sample the water. Put tape back over the slit in the bag.

So in anticipation of that, I usually have my QT's salinity at 1.020 and have the following ready:

a pretty strong already mixed saltwater if I have to raise the salinity before adding the fish to the QT;
and I have some RODI also ready in case I need to lower the salinity before adding the fish to the QT.

Once the QT's salinity is matched all you need to do is temperature match and your normal acclimation process.

Then leave the salinity of the QT alone for the day. The next day can begin adding a bit of the "pretty strong already mixed saltwater" but only enough to raise the salinity 0.001 per day until you reach 1.025/6 or your desired salinity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss. Heartbreaking.
It's pretty normal that many shipper will send fish at around 1.015 salinity, LIve Aquaria for example has done that the last few times I've gotten fish from them.

So you match your QT's salinity to the incoming fish's salinity. Pretty easy to do. Cut a small slit in the shipping bag then use an eyedropper to sample the water. Put tape back over the slit in the bag.

So in anticipation of that, I usually have my QT's salinity at 1.020 and have the following ready:

a pretty strong already mixed saltwater if I have to raise the salinity before adding the fish to the QT;
and I have some RODI also ready in case I need to lower the salinity before adding the fish to the QT.

Once the QT's salinity is matched all you need to do is temperature match and your normal acclimation process.

Then leave the salinity of the QT alone for the day. The next day can begin adding a bit of the "pretty strong already mixed saltwater" but only enough to raise the salinity 0.001 per day until you reach 1.025/6 or your desired salinity.
Thanks, Big G. I might wait a bit before trying again (don't want to be a serial fish killer, and these fish aren't cheap), but I hope to be better prepared and have better luck next time.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back