My next fish...

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is time to add another fish (or two) to my 50g cube. I currently have a clownfish, a yellow watchmen goby and a yellow corris wrasse. I’d like a fish that picks at algae. I don’t have an algae problem but I have enough. I also want an active fish. My YWG was awesome when he first went in and now he set his burrow somewhere I can’t see.

The clown and corris are both great and always out.

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower Blennies are always good for algae and their personality. The Starry Blennie and others in that family work well also. On the invertebrate end I have become a big fan of sea urchins to keep the rockwork clean as well.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower Blennies are always good for algae and their personality. The Starry Blennie and others in that family work well also. On the invertebrate end I have become a big fan of sea urchins to keep the rockwork clean as well.
I forgot about lawnmower blennies. They are cool fish. Definitely on the list!

Tail spot blenny or Sailfin Blenny( gold or black)
I’ll check them out. I know tailspots but not sailfin. Thanks.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower and its relatives are good suggestions.

Don't forget about snails for algae. I like the big mexican turbo snails.

A flame or longnosed hawk is always a good addition. Gramma or chalk bass would fit in with the group well.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower and its relatives are good suggestions.

Don't forget about snails for algae. I like the big mexican turbo snails.

A flame or longnosed hawk is always a good addition. Gramma or chalk bass would fit in with the group well.
I have snails, but they don't eat algae once it gets beyond a certain length. Basslets are a good idea. I'd skip hawks just from an aggression and general perching style.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have snails, but they don't eat algae once it gets beyond a certain length. Basslets are a good idea. I'd skip hawks just from an aggression and general perching style.
Love my lawnmower keeps my power heads clean and always is grazing. Tuxedo urchin also another hard worker.

I also have a tailspot, flame hawk and black cap basslet in ny 75. All cool fish

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sleep banded goby that does a great job of sifting the sand and is more of swimmer than a burrower. They also eat the frozen food I put for the other fish so it does not just rely on algae to survive.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sleep banded goby that does a great job of sifting the sand and is more of swimmer than a burrower. They also eat the frozen food I put for the other fish so it does not just rely on algae to survive.
That’s been on my list actually. I’m back and forth on the lawnmower and the sleeper banded.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned you will be hard pressed to beat the personality and function of a lawnmower blenny for that sized tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back