My official tank build thread

JW20VT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been posting on here but never started my official build thread. I wanted to join in on the fun and showing off so here it is.

Again, i appriciate everyones help the past couple months getting this going and helping me out. Its been a blast talking with some and seeing all of youz guys/gals tanks, i can only hope i can get to the same point at some of you.

Im starting lite with a FOWLR tank. Its just to start me off. Below is what I have for equipment which is nothing special, i will be using HOB items for now and might do a small sump to get used to having one towards the end of this 29g. I plan on building a stand as a small side project and slowly convert to a 40. Breeder or similar .
When that does happen i will either transfer the livestock from this to new or start fresh with the bigger and keep the 29 going on side of stand or my sons room.

Whisper ex-70 HOB filter. I am running carbon in a media bag in each slot in the return of this filter. I think i will be upgrading this to a aquaclear unit. At least a ac 50 but would like the bigger 110. Ive seen mods with them and also some nice media basket setups for these units. Wouldnt mind a canister but of course i read there nightmares for some though i know one local who has used one for years with no probs at all.

Fluval 200w titanium heater , best I was able to get the tank to remain constant was around 80 with the house temps... Starting to get colder and i take care of my grandmother and she keeps it at her usual warm temps inside. I was told 79 80 should be fine as long as constant?

I got a hard to pass up deal on one of the new fluval marine/reef LED bars. I like it but think its pretty bright in full/day mode. The night / moon light is awesome though, i recommend them to someone with corals, i got a really good deal and would have been dumb to pass up moments.

I have about 20 lbs Live Fiji and am going to be purchasing some dry from online soon. I need to fill in more on the left side of tank but I dont want to start a cycle again or anything by adding more LR now.

20lb of live sand

Livestock:

Pair of Black/White Saddleback Clownfish
1 Starry Blenny

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1384228295.838655.jpg

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1384228312.526713.jpg

Pics of full day and night mode on my fluval LED bar. Was about week 4 i believe of cycling with live rock.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1384228470.389720.jpg

Day 3 of saddlebacks in new home:) sorry for the blur pic, its really the brown diatoms on glass.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1384228630.132904.jpg

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1384228513.607736.jpg

Just after first feeding of frozen mysis shrimp.

OP
OP
JW20VT

JW20VT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1384229030.248665.jpg

Again sorry for the blur picture. Between the brown algae on glass and it being a phone pic. Ive been starting to get better pics with my nikon ill post those during week when i get some time to upload.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1384229155.307174.jpg

Hey there's the Blenny !! :)
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1384229237.049190.jpg

Showing off, was shy for first couple days. He is starting to come around though

Thats all i got for now. I have a few questions if anyone can help i appreciate it, anyone use microbe special blend to get clean up waste from food and help water clarity ?

If i do end up picking up a aquaclear unit and decide to run both HOB units instead of replace the ex70 what could i run for media in them? Run carbon in one with some live rock in the water reservoir.? Saw a lot of people run chemipure elite instead of carbon to help with phosphates and such with great success and also purigen?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back