My Ph is to low, how do i raise it?

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just set the tank up 4 days ago. I tested the water and everything was fine except for the Ph. This tank is going to be a frag tank for nems so i need water quality to be perfect. Here is what i got.

nitrate: 0 pm

nitrite:0 pm

ammonia:0 pm

High range Ph: 7.8
Tried adding Marine Buffer yesterday, but no changes:(
Can someone help me out?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh air. We live in a lock up house all spring, summer, and most of the fall. I turned up my ceiling fan to high and my PH went up. From what I was told at my LFS 7.8 is not a bad. Air stone and have the pump located outside.

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't chase the pH, all the buffer will do is have a temporary increase, then once the tank reaches equilibrium with the surrounding CO2 in the household atmosphere, the pH will go back down and leave you with elevated levels of alkalinity. And, unless you have a calibrated metering device, i.e. pinpoint, your pH probably isn't what you think it is. Make sure your skimmer is in good working order, and you're getting a good gas exchange. If you still want to increase the pH, open some window's or run a piece of 1/2" flexible tubing to an outside air source. BTW a pH of 7.8 isn't all that bad, I successfully ran a 180 gal mixed reef with a range of 7.8 AM to 8.1 PM.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Fresh air. If your tank is in a basement or if your house is sealed tight because u have the air on, try bringing in fresh air to your tank or the room the tank is in.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that problem if I leave the house sealed up for more than a couple days. It'll drop to 7.8 ish. But with the windows open or fresh air is brought in, it'll jump back up to 8.2 ish

djtripoalo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup +1 on air. Protein skimmers are great keeping your ph up. I accidentally unplugged my for a couple days and watched my ph drop dramatically till I realized it was unplugged still lol

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low ph doesnt mean low buffering capacity always. If your alkalinity is between 7dkh to 11dkh i wouldnt worry about ph.

Ph being low with a normal alklainity (7-11) will be mostly from co2 gas in the room from people breathing. Opening a window will help the ph rise higher.

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0659.JPG
IMG_0659.JPG
My ph only 7.88 for years when light is off.All my fish,corals,nem all in perfected health

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back