Raise pH without Raising Alkalinity

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I calibrated my Hannah HI98103 meter. The meter is seems to be accurate according to the testing solutions, and gives a nice reading with a +- .1 reading.
I tested my tank in it came at a dangerously low 6.8, but, my alkalinity is at 11.2. My question is two fold

1. How did my pH get this low? Both the reading in the aquarium and the reading in a sealed gallon jug of unused 1.025 salt water are 6.8, but my RODI is a normal 8.2. Could the salt be a bad batch and should I get new salt? (Currently using a bucket of Reef Crystals)

2. How can I raise pH safely without raising my alkalinity if it's even possible?

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I calibrated my Hannah HI98103 meter. The meter is seems to be accurate according to the testing solutions, and gives a nice reading with a +- .1 reading.
I tested my tank in it came at a dangerously low 6.8, but, my alkalinity is at 11.2. My question is two fold

1. How did my pH get this low? Both the reading in the aquarium and the reading in a sealed gallon jug of unused 1.025 salt water are 6.8, but my RODI is a normal 8.2. Could the salt be a bad batch and should I get new salt?

2. How can I raise pH safely without raising my alkalinity if it's even possible?
A co2 scrubber connected to your skimmer.

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk sounds about right for reef crystals. Generally low pH comes from co2 in the air forming carbonic acid in the water. There are only three ways I know to raise pH without raising dKH and that's opening the windows (not always an option), co2 scrubber, and/or a refugium. Anything chemical based with also affect dKH.

OP
OP
coralboi56

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk sounds about right for reef crystals. Generally low pH comes from co2 in the air forming carbonic acid in the water. There are only three ways I know to raise pH without raising dKH and that's opening the windows (not always an option), co2 scrubber, and/or a refugium. Anything chemical based with also affect dKH.
I get that the aquarium can be that low via CO2, but what about the sealed unused 1.025 salinity water? How did that get so low if it's not exposed to the air? My only guess would be the salt mix

But I'm way ahead of you on the windows/doors :grinning-face-with-sweat:

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that the aquarium can be that low via CO2, but what about the sealed unused 1.025 salinity water? How did that get so low if it's not exposed to the air? My only guess would be the salt mix

But I'm way ahead of you on the windows/doors :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Not sure, but I know RC shouldn't be mixed and stored as it's an enriched salt. Maybe that's affected pH?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. How did my pH get this low? Both the reading in the aquarium and the reading in a sealed gallon jug of unused 1.025 salt water are 6.8, but my RODI is a normal 8.2. Could the salt be a bad batch and should I get new salt? (Currently using a bucket of Reef Crystals)

If that reading we're true, your sand and rock would be slowly dissolving. Did you calibrate the meter with 4 & 7 calibration solution, or 7 & 10?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, but I know RC shouldn't be mixed and stored as it's an enriched salt. Maybe that's affected pH?
I have stored rc for years with no issues. I used to mix a box at a time and use it over a months time. Never had issues '99-2012. I am having some atm but I think its co2 related working on that now pretty sure they have not changed the salt in the years I was away. I am not having ph issues its alk issues I'm having.

OP
I think test is wrong

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back