My poor Clownfish

slav621

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home yesterday after work to my clownfish like this. What could it be? My parameters are pretty normal except high nitrates at 40. I have a cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, yasha goby, urchin, and snails.

Salinity: 1.026
PH- 8.2
Nitrates- 40
Nitrites-0
Ammonia-0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I came home yesterday after work to my clownfish like this. What could it be? My parameters are pretty normal except high nitrates at 40. I have a cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, yasha goby, urchin, and snails.

Salinity: 1.026
PH- 8.2
Nitrates- 40
Nitrites-0
Ammonia-0

Oh no. Appears to be post injury, or even neurological but hard to tell without tell-tale signs.
Any other occupants in with it?
As for parameters, disregard Nitrites and I would suggest taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
Fish is moribund and may or may not swim normal again and could be a loss. Add an airstone to provide more oxygen

OP
OP
slav621

slav621

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no. Appears to be post injury, or even neurological but hard to tell without tell-tale signs.
Any other occupants in with it?
As for parameters, disregard Nitrites and I would suggest taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
Fish is moribund and may or may not swim normal again and could be a loss. Add an airstone to provide more oxygen
Thank you for your response. I have a cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, yasha goby, urchin, and snails. He did pass yesterday when I noticed it. It seemed to happen fast and there were no signs of any illness prior to this. All other tank mates are doing just fine. If there was something wrong with the water wouldn't the other tank mates be bothered? All of my other corals are open and doing good as well.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for your response. I have a cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, yasha goby, urchin, and snails. He did pass yesterday when I noticed it. It seemed to happen fast and there were no signs of any illness prior to this. All other tank mates are doing just fine. If there was something wrong with the water wouldn't the other tank mates be bothered? All of my other corals are open and doing good as well.
Yes. If there was something seriously wrong with the water the other tank mates should have been bothered. Did you mean the clown passed? Did you have 2 of them by chance? It could be nearly anything - including trauma, disease, etc.

OP
OP
slav621

slav621

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, not long after I noticed it doing this it laid over on it side with heavy breathing and died shortly after. It was really sudden honestly. It had a pair but that one died like 3 months ago. I had a pair of clowns and a chromis that I got from Petco almost 2 years ago and they have all died since. I feel like I am doing everything right so I don't know if it is sick fish with diseases or what. I have a cleaner shrimp and a yasha goby/shrimp pair and a urchin that I did not get from Petco and they are doing fine.

OP
OP
slav621

slav621

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think you could have hit a powerhead? (If you have any)
Yes, I have two. I had recently moved a powerhead to the bottom of the tank but that was not where he would hang out. I never saw him on a powerhead but honestly with how quick it happened I would not be surprised. he did not have any damages to his body though. Could him getting stuck on a powerhead for a little cause death if no signs of harm?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back