My QT is starting to smell help!

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a 20 gallon qt tank. I have a melanarus wrasse inside. Im not dosing anything, i have a HOB filter. My ammonia spiked today so i did a water change to bring it back down. But there is a smell coming from the tank, its like that stinky fish smell. What should I do? And also how do i keep my ammonia stable?

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime and water changes are your best friends at the moment. Have a spare powerhead you could attach a sponge filter 2? Also the dr tims cycling stuff would help. Also does your main system have a sump? If so get an extra sponge filter and put in there to seed the good bacteria.

OP
OP
BkReefBaby

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Prime and water changes are your best friends at the moment. Have a spare powerhead you could attach a sponge filter 2? Also the dr tims cycling stuff would help. Also does your main system have a sump? If so get an extra sponge filter and put in there to seed the good bacteria.
yes i have 3 sponges in there letting them soak. theyve only been there a week now

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead and move 1 on over and get th dr tims stuff. Sounds like your getting the smell of a tank cycling or trying to cycle.

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i have 3 sponges in there letting them soak. theyve only been there a week now
You will have to do several water changes before your QT cycles. Apparently, QT is something most of us do not plan ahead and mostly set up during an emergency.
What worked for me and I mean, several times while I set up 3 different hospital tanks during my fallow period was Bio Spira. It cut down my W/C from daily to weekly then bi weekly

OP
OP
BkReefBaby

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i dont plan on treating, i removed the fish from my tank, so my tank can go fallow for 10 weeks. Now i think i should put him back into my display tank and let the tank cycle. what do you guys think?

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont plan on treating, i removed the fish from my tank, so my tank can go fallow for 10 weeks. Now i think i should put him back into my display tank and let the tank cycle. what do you guys think?
No just be prepared with prime and water changes then. And let this cycle. If you add the dr tims cycling stuff and a sponge or what else was mentioned above by Brian Kim, the cycle will complete faster.

OP
OP
BkReefBaby

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I had an ich outbreak killed all my fish except this guy who is doing well...I also set it up to see if he shows any signs of anything

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can safely assume that the remaining fish has ich or marine velvelt, I'm suspecting MV since all your fish died. You should treat him with cupramine and also all new future inhabitants before introducing to your DT. [HASHTAG]#humblefish[/HASHTAG] for more details, or was it @Humblefish

OP
OP
BkReefBaby

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You can safely assume that the remaining fish has ich or marine velvelt, I'm suspecting MV since all your fish died. You should treat him with cupramine and also all new future inhabitants before introducing to your DT. [HASHTAG]#humblefish[/HASHTAG] for more details, or was it @Humblefish
I was reading that wrasse fish don't do well with that stuff...I have all that stuff he recommended on the stickies and for wrasses idk

I lost 3 tangs a borbonius anthia and 3 clownfish that looked like they had brooknella before they went. Just stuck with this guy now

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading that wrasse fish don't do well with that stuff...I have all that stuff he recommended on the stickies and for wrasses idk

I lost 3 tangs a borbonius anthia and 3 clownfish that looked like they had brooknella before they went. Just stuck with this guy now
You are right, wrasses and angels are very sensitive to copper treatment.Well there are other alternatives such as tank transfer and hyposalinity, but hypo will not cure MV or Brook. I just finished my fallow about 2 weeks ago and 76 days was a long time.
That wrasse will reintroduce mv or whatever outbreak you had back into your system after you are done with your fallow unless he is treated.

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right, wrasses and angels are very sensitive to copper treatment.Well there are other alternatives such as tank transfer and hyposalinity, but hypo will not cure MV or Brook. I just finished my fallow about 2 weeks ago and 76 days was a long time.
That wrasse will reintroduce mv or whatever outbreak you had back into your system after you are done with your fallow unless he is treated.
+1

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I have successfully treated wrasses and angels using cupramine at recommended 0.5 levels, only to lose 2 of them from jumping out of the tank lol

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you lost all of your fish to ich or velvet, I would treat the Melanurus Wrasse with copper for 4 weeks just to be sure he is "clean" before going back into your DT. I've QT'd multiple Mel Wrasses using Coppersafe with no problems. They are pretty tough fish.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back