My quarantine/fish adding procedure

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in another thread but as I am getting 2 new fish on Tuesday I thought it was appropriate to talk about my QT and fish adding process so here it is. I have a QT tank but I am very relaxed about QT. I freshwater dip and I wash all inverts. inverts and corals are added after close inspection and clean/dip. fish are put in my frag tank to rest and get healthy and eating. I only acclimate normally if the fish are from an LFS all online orders are floated and then I take a sample of the bag water and make sure to do this quickly then I match a small holding tank to the salinity of the bag. once the holding tank is set up I dump the fish into a net and then put them in the holding tank. next, I do the freshwater dip and then they are put back in the holding tank and drip acclimated to my DT. this method makes sure the fish are never exposed to high amounts of oxidized ammonia and prevents pests along with being the most stress-free process as possible. if a fish is showing any signs of disease it is put in the QT tank that is filled with live rock where it is observed for two weeks. if it still shows signs I will take out the LR and medicate the tank. the QT is mainly used as isolation and hostable tank. this is very helpful when I need to add a peaceful fish to my DT which has some aggressive fish it also works well to dissipate conflict.

OP
OP
geddavis

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a pajama cardinal and a six-line wrasse along with 14 snails.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a pajama cardinal and a six-line wrasse along with 14 snails.
How many fish in your current tank? Have you experienced ich or velvet with any arrivals?
Here is a couple of pics from my setups:
CB6E166E-8999-4E7F-9A8A-223C96734B6B.jpeg

BA81501D-8385-4B1F-99BC-3CA0864DA93B.jpeg

This Harlequin Tusk has been in QT since January 25th going through copper treatment, general cure, and Prazi. I treat all fish prophylactically even if no signs of an issue are present. He will be finished Wednesday and get introduced to the DT by being in a social acclimation box for several days to see if the older fish have any issues with him.
56BD6096-8874-4CDA-B2A9-0BE5EAF0C469.jpeg

OP
OP
geddavis

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a whole fresh water tank wipe out but because of the size of my system I don’t stock to many fish so a hospital and aggression tank is symply more important to me. Another problem with my freshwater setup was that it was way to stressfull on the fish. I was a noob and changed my scape every week and I got my fish from Petco and in that tank there was another fish with ich. I was not very smart about it. I only have room for one extra tank so Im fairly limited on QT. So I instead go for the stress free route where I try to build up immune strength before inturducion into the display.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back