My Red Sea tank failed, and I'm scared to buy another tank.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to ask for permission for a tank that much larger I live in an apartment. It looks like a great product option though that I will consider. Thanks.

Not going to get approved.... lol.. not without renters insurance for flood damage at the very least.

Your 40B also will need approval, and i also think it will not be approved.
So your walking down a dark alley, might as well go full yolo, unless the 40B got pre-appoval.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a Red Sea tank that failed, the front panel popped off. My quick action was to buy a stock tank. It is great for what it is and having a pond in my living is sorta cool. I still miss seeing my fish and corals through the glass. The thing is that every time I go to look at new tanks, I wonder which one is going to fail me next. I thought I had chosen a top-of-the-line brand the first time but every bit of equipment that I bought of theirs either didn't work as stated or failed. I don't know what company to go with, who is trustworthy. I am just hesitant in general, and it is hindering my hobby and the enjoyment it brings me.
Forgetting RedSea for a minute - there are lots of aquarium manufacturers out there - and I would bet every one of them have had failures. Thus - the key - IMHO is to Buy a quality tank, set it up correctly (not a used tank) and more importantly, buy a homeowners insurance policy that for sure, covers the tank stand and equipment as well as any house damages. If you have a lot of extremely expensive fish - there are also companies that will insure those as well as a separate policy. Because - though it's a hassle to lose a tank, and its inhabitants - its much worse to find out 200 gallons of saltwater has done 100K of damage.

Again - not wanting to get into a RedSea discussion, every manufacturer has had damages - If you want a little insurance, perhaps consider a rimmed aquarium, or eurobraced.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What red sea tank did you have? How long was it set up?

From another worried Red Sea customer who bought one before seeing the horror stories
The tank was setup for about 2 years. It had been moved once. It was a 200XL

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgetting RedSea for a minute - there are lots of aquarium manufacturers out there - and I would bet every one of them have had failures. Thus - the key - IMHO is to Buy a quality tank, set it up correctly (not a used tank) and more importantly, buy a homeowners insurance policy that for sure, covers the tank stand and equipment as well as any house damages. If you have a lot of extremely expensive fish - there are also companies that will insure those as well as a separate policy. Because - though it's a hassle to lose a tank, and its inhabitants - its much worse to find out 200 gallons of saltwater has done 100K of damage.

Again - not wanting to get into a RedSea discussion, every manufacturer has had damages - If you want a little insurance, perhaps consider a rimmed aquarium, or eurobraced.
I agree 100% about not wanting this to be about Red Sea as a company. Silicone fails, I get that. I do have renter's insurance and have my aquarium listed. It is a really important part of this hobby in my eyes.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to get approved.... lol.. not without renters insurance for flood damage at the very least.

Your 40B also will need approval, and i also think it will not be approved.
So your walking down a dark alley, might as well go full yolo, unless the 40B got pre-appoval.
I have approval for a 55 gallon but I have a feeling that there is wiggle room. The manager and staff like to come check out my tank.

I also do have insurance.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have approval for a 55 gallon but I have a feeling that there is wiggle room. The manager and staff like to come check out my tank.

I also do have insurance.
Go with an AIO from innovative marine. My tank before my current one was an IM SR60. The footprint pretty compact at 36longx24deepx16.5high. Or go with the Nuvo 50 gallon . Can remember the dimensions but it would fit the bill as well.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was setup for about 2 years. It had been moved once. It was a 200XL
Relatively small. Really shouldn’t have happened in that size range. Most are larger. I live life on the edge everyday with my G1 525. Could have been bad silicone, but are you absolutely certain it was assembled correctly and level? Also, at two years you should have full warranty replacement coverage?

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relatively small. Really shouldn’t have happened in that size range. Most are larger. I live life on the edge everyday with my G1 525. Could have been bad silicone, but are you absolutely certain it was assembled correctly and level? Also, at two years you should have full warranty replacement coverage?

I said about two years, as in a little over 2 years. The warranty did not cover it. And yes, I am absolutely certain it was level and setup properly.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was two years plus 1 when registered so 3 total until 2020, then it was 3 plus 1, so 4. Now I think it's 3 plus 2.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s sucks. Maybe you don’t register it.
Yes, it was registered. This thread isn't about me trying to resolve a complaint and lengthy debates with the company from months ago. I appreciate the interest, but I rather not dwell on all that stuff in the past.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it was registered. This thread isn't about me trying to resolve a complaint and lengthy debates with the company from months ago. I appreciate the interest, but I rather not dwell on all that stuff in the past.
Well... that's interesting,... but yes, yes, moving on.

Frans1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What red sea tank did you have? How long was it set up?

From another worried Red Sea customer who bought one before seeing the horror stories

My brother in law got a new tank from Red sea after his old tank fail. The new one looks way stronger. I bought second hand red sea, for now it's fine but I hope it stays good:rolleyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back