My Red Sea tank failed, and I'm scared to buy another tank.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Red Sea tank that failed, the front panel popped off. My quick action was to buy a stock tank. It is great for what it is and having a pond in my living is sorta cool. I still miss seeing my fish and corals through the glass. The thing is that every time I go to look at new tanks, I wonder which one is going to fail me next. I thought I had chosen a top-of-the-line brand the first time but every bit of equipment that I bought of theirs either didn't work as stated or failed. I don't know what company to go with, who is trustworthy. I am just hesitant in general, and it is hindering my hobby and the enjoyment it brings me.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Red sea is the exception, not the rule.

Buy a tank from someone who makes aquariums, not aquariums, skimmers, test kits,additives, ect.

Here's a list of aquarium manufacturers. (Made by another member)
1. Coast 2 Coast
2. Reef Savvy
3. Miracles Aquariums
4. Titan
5. Concept Aquariums
6. Crystal Dynamics
7. Planet Aquariums
8. Advanced Acrylics
9. Midwest Custom Aquarium
10. Fish Tanks Direct
11. Custom Aquariums
12. Acrylic Tank Manufacturing
13. Tank Me USA
14. Crystal Reef Aquatics
15. Aqueon
16. Glass Cages
17. SCA
18. Acrylic Glass Exhibits
19. GEO
20. Tenecor Aquariums
21. Exotic Aquariums
22. Waterbox
23. Cade
24. Innovative Marine
25. Reef Octopus
26. Zero Edge
27. Redsea
28. Sheman Tanks
29. ELOS
30. New Level Tanks
31. The Aquarium King
32. Fish Traps
33. Splash Box Creations
34. Aqua Forest
35. Nyos
36. AquaMaxx
37. Mr Aqua
38. Eshopps
39. Lifegard Aquatics
40. LiquidArt Aquariums
41. JBJ
42. Maxspec
43. Miraculous Catch Aquarium

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tank has a chance of leaking but always have a backup tank to at least save the fish and coral until you can get a new one. Just don't get discouraged. I am sorry that you had this happen but looking forward to see what you get next.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I am looking for something around the 40B to possibly a 75 gallon if the price was right. I don't think I had thought much about acrylic, I don't know why that hasn't crossed my mind more yet. I'll will spend the next couple days going through all the suggestions given. As for budget goes, I don't even know if I want another AIO setup or not. Part of me wants to keep the pond turn it into a softie lagoon and just connect it to a display tank for my LPS/SPS. $1500 probably would be my max budget for a new tank/stand+ whatever other new equipment to get it up and running.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Red Sea tank that failed, the front panel popped off. My quick action was to buy a stock tank. It is great for what it is and having a pond in my living is sorta cool. I still miss seeing my fish and corals through the glass. The thing is that every time I go to look at new tanks, I wonder which one is going to fail me next. I thought I had chosen a top-of-the-line brand the first time but every bit of equipment that I bought of theirs either didn't work as stated or failed. I don't know what company to go with, who is trustworthy. I am just hesitant in general, and it is hindering my hobby and the enjoyment it brings me.
When you say the front panel "popped off". Is that as catastrophic as I think it sounds?

I like Innovative Marine.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I am looking for something around the 40B to possibly a 75 gallon if the price was right. I don't think I had thought much about acrylic, I don't know why that hasn't crossed my mind more yet. I'll will spend the next couple days going through all the suggestions given. As for budget goes, I don't even know if I want another AIO setup or not. Part of me wants to keep the pond turn it into a softie lagoon and just connect it to a display tank for my LPS/SPS. $1500 probably would be my max budget for a new tank/stand+ whatever other new equipment to get it up and running.
In that size range I would recommend Innovative Marine, Planet Aquariums, or WaterBox.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally I'd go planet aquariums rimmed. Glasscages & CustomAquariums are good options as well. Planets Tideline rimless and Cade, IM, Redsea, and Waterbox are made in china. Of the Chinese tanks I think the least complained about brands are Cade & IM.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What red sea tank did you have? How long was it set up?

From another worried Red Sea customer who bought one before seeing the horror stories
Yep in the same boat. I was told by an LFS that its a great tank and top of the line. Then I joined this form! Lol waiting for that to happen to me too. Ive got bins on standby for when it does go.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 83g low iron rimless tank, ghost overflow, custom made stand (double the internal bracing as the Red Sea), Sump, ato for 1400 shipped to your door. Won’t find a better deal than this. It’s made by current USA and all the info is in this thread

They have 20 left

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitly not top of the line. These bundles are designed for beginners who want something flashy but don’t have the knowledge to piece together a system. It’s a convenient turnkey package but you end up paying a ton of money for low to mid grade gear and they often leave people wanting to upgrade things down the line

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 83g low iron rimless tank, ghost overflow, custom made stand (double the internal bracing as the Red Sea), Sump, ato for 1400 shipped to your door. ...
I would have to ask for permission for a tank that much larger I live in an apartment. It looks like a great product option though that I will consider. Thanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back