My reduce, reuse, and recycle build

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad the pipes are eating!!

I have a tailspot in my 180g I have never seen it eat any prepared foods just grazes on the rock and glass

OP
OP
C

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad the pipes are eating!!

I have a tailspot in my 180g I have never seen it eat any prepared foods just grazes on the rock and glass

That is SO good to know! I was getting worried about him.

I love everything about this tank. Its going to be beautiful. good luck to you.

Thanks! I'll post some pics soon. I want to finish the stand and get the tank on it. A couple more coats of stain, then urethaning it, and I should be able to do that tonight.

OP
OP
C

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had some wicked hot weather here, which would not be conducive to staining (at least not for a newbie like me). Today was better, tho, so I got the new stand stained. I am SO glad I did the additional coats. It's not perfect, but it looks better than it did, and way better than I expected for my first time staining furniture. When it dries, I'll put on the new handles and a towel rod.

In other news, the tailspot just wouldn't eat, and I came down one morning to his floating body, which I immediately 'recycled' in my garden. So, RIP, lil man. I wish I could have gotten him to eat something. I'm not sure if I'm going to replace him with another tailspot, or if I'll go a different route. Naturally, being a nano, there was a small ammonia spike with the death of the tailspot. The pipefish didn't make it, and the harlequin shrimp was lethargic and twitchy. I scooped him out right away, and transferred him to my 180 gallon. I am happy to report that he came through it pretty well. The chances are slim, but if I'm able to get him out of the 180 in the next few days, I'll return him to the nano. Otherwise, I'll let him hang out in that tank, and get another one for the nano. At any rate, with all that bad stuff happening, I did a 50% water change on the nano, and added a little squirt of the bacteria. I replaced the skimmer with a media bag of rinsed carbon. When I checked again later that day, everything was back to normal. The nem, corals and Steal looked great through the whole thing.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following because I'm also recycling everything, except the tank. You're copying me. No, really, I guess great minds think alike, especially if you're poor. This is a lot of fun, isn't it? I'm waiting for 11 corals from ReefRaft then I better get my two posts in this month. I'm so behind.!

OP
OP
C

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
define wicked hot? lol stand looks good btw!
It's been north of 100. I worried that if I tried to stain something in that kinda heat, it would dry the instant it hit the wood. Prolly not a good look.
Thanks for the compliment. I'm amazed at how different it looks with a few more layers of stain on it. I decided to go ahead and urethane it, so I'll do that in the morning. Then I'll be able to get it moved into place and get the tank on it. Looks like I'll be doing another water change tomorrow. LOL.

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been north of 100. I worried that if I tried to stain something in that kinda heat, it would dry the instant it hit the wood. Prolly not a good look.
Thanks for the compliment. I'm amazed at how different it looks with a few more layers of stain on it. I decided to go ahead and urethane it, so I'll do that in the morning. Then I'll be able to get it moved into place and get the tank on it. Looks like I'll be doing another water change tomorrow. LOL.
Ah welcome to every summer I have here! Lol was 115 here a couple a days ago. It looks like it came out well but I think you would have been fine with the doing it in the heat as long as you were in the shade, I've had to do it before in the summer and it does dry quicker but it's not too bad

OP
OP
C

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FINALLY got the stand finished. Urethaned it 4 times this morning, then mounted a towel rack on the side and put the new knobs on. Moved it into place and did a water change on the nano so I could place it on the stand.

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful work Cindy,one thing you might try if you have it lying around is to put a T or Y fitting on your return pump and split the flow output into 2 direction to help with the sand movement,you'll still have the great amount of flow but it wont be concentrated into 1 area of the tank that way...looking forward to more progress :)

OP
OP
C

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this ..

Thanks! That was so much fun that I might go buy another piece of furniture at the flea market so I can refinish it! LOL

beautiful work Cindy,one thing you might try if you have it lying around is to put a T or Y fitting on your return pump and split the flow output into 2 direction to help with the sand movement,you'll still have the great amount of flow but it wont be concentrated into 1 area of the tank that way...looking forward to more progress :)

Thanks!
I think we glued that fitting on, but I may try to pry it off and put on a splitter of some kind. It would be great if I could break up the flow some. I also thought about downgrading the pump, but I like a lot of flow in a tank because it prevents cyano, so I've been reluctant to do that. Worst case scenario, I'll rework the rocks. I don't like that flat rock sitting on the sand, but it keeps it from getting dug out by the flow.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back