My reduce, reuse, and recycle build

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I needed a challenge. Our other tank, Mike's entry into this contest, is a budget buster. Very little expense spared on it. This one? The opposite. I'm calling it my Reduce, Reuse & Recycle Nano.

I just bought an Aquamedic Wave 9 gallon nano as a 'project' tank from a fellow member of my local reef club for $35. It had a few scratches, some after-market silicone on the back, and not the greatest light fixture. It was modified with a maxijet 400 return pump because the original gave out a long time ago. Not a beauty queen of a tank, by any stretch. It had been around the block a few times, passed from owner to owner. It might have soon wound up sitting forlornly in a dumpster somewhere in Denver. I wanted to see if maybe I could refurbish it into a gem of a nano that wouldn't suffer that sad fate for many years.
On the way home from picking up the tank, some clueless Petco employees who didn't know a black saddleback clown from a snowflake clown sent us home with an $80 fish for $13, and it inspired us. We decided to see how inexpensively I could both refurbish this nano and set up a mixed reef. I'm not going to track the expenditures as if I went out and bought everything new or new-to-me. Like anyone that's been in the hobby for a while, I have a lot of random reef gear sitting around. I wanted to see how little I could spend out of pocket to accomplish this "reduce, reuse & recycle" mission.
Reduce = set up a smaller tank than I had ever had before, and keep it healthy and happy. Reuse = digging equipment out of storage to refurbish and upgrade the tank, to avoid buying things for it. Recycle = minimizing tank cycle time as much as possible, as well as growing out corals quickly so that I can frag them and either sell them or DBTC them so that fewer corals are harvested from the wild.
We immediately upgraded the return pump to a maxijet 900, added a nozzle thingie to the return tube, and cleaned it up. Then we looked 'under the hood' at the lights. One very tough decision with any tank build is lighting. There are a lot of options out there, most of them expensive. We opted to upgrade the existing CFLs to LEDs, but decided to do a DIY build to reduce expenses. Yes, Michael is helping me. A lot! I want to learn more about lighting and LEDs with this build. We gathered the following LED equipment: 19 3w led bulbs (10 royal blues, 7 whites, and 2 reds), a heatsink, 2 drivers from RapidLed, and a couple of small fans. Some of this was sitting in a box in my storage unit, some was ordered online.
Next up is getting the tank cycling, while we wait on some of the lighting parts to show up. I still have the old sand from tearing down my 125 (in a large pile in my side yard), and have decided to re-use that after a LOT of rinsing. I will also raid the sump on our main system for a couple of pieces of live rock for the display as well as rubble and macroalgae. I plan to put chaeto in the fuge compartment with the rubble, and put some halimeda in the display. "Steal" the clownfish is currently in QT, until I can get the nano up and running. I need to find her a mate and a nem, get some tank janitors, and decide what corals I'm going to put in it from our tanks.

Out of Pocket Expenses:
Tank: $35
Lighting: $56
"Steal" the snowflake clownfish: $13
Pair of blue line pipefish: $30
Harlequin shrimp: $25
Tailspot Blenny: $20

Coral & Nem Tally Sheet:
green star polyp frag: $10 (dbtc)
Ricordia Florida: $20 (from my tank = fmt)
Halimeda: $10 (fmt)
Candy cane (12 head - fmt): $60
Orange mushrooms (5 shroom colony - fmt): $50?
Alveopora frag (fmt): $30
Pinwheel zoa frag (fmt): $20
Japanese deepwater zoa frag (fmt): $20
Rose Bubbletip anemone: $30
Contest Total: $250

DSC_0178_zpsbd694f61.jpg
DSC_0180_zps65288881.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0177_zpsd37d9b57.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0176_zpsdf2aecce.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]
DSC_0171_zpsac4335c0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF!! I really like your idea behind this reef build. Good luck!

OP
OP
C

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I just hope I can keep such a small tank happy and healthy. I'm really looking forward to harvesting frags from it to DBTC to my local club. They've been a HUGE help to me. The problem is that I keep 'adding water' to my main display tank, and it's grown VERY quickly from a 35g to a 180g. Because of that, I've not been able to grow much out for DBTC yet. Other than macro algae, that is. LOL.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the concept!! Can't wait to see what you do with the tank! Good luck!

OP
OP
C

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got sand & water & a barnacle condo in the display, and rubble & macro & heater in the back today! So it's officially up and running. The led parts arrived a little bit ago, so I'm hoping to get the lighting upgraded in the next week. I have one more piece of rock to add to it, but that will have to wait until tomorrow because it has a bit of GSP on it. Even though I'm using established live rock, I'm considering kickstarting it with Bactiv8 or something similar just to make sure it's got a good bacteria population in place.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the simple look. What fish do you plan on keeping. Any coral ideas?

OP
OP
C

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the concept!! Can't wait to see what you do with the tank! Good luck!

Thanks! I just hope I can keep it healthy and happy. I've never done a nano before, and I'm nervous about it. Our main system is 700 gallons. LOL One big bonus is that if I have to dose to keep the water parameters in line, it won't take as much chemicals, and water changes will be really small as compared to what I'm used to. Haha.

OP
OP
C

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the simple look. What fish do you plan on keeping. Any coral ideas?

Thanks! When it comes to these smaller tanks, I like simple, too. There's one more piece of rock to go in, and that'll be it.

There's 1 snowflake clown in QT right now, so I need to find another one and a nem. I also like starry blennies, so I might get one of those for this tank. Need to check to make sure it's not too small for them, however. I also want a harlequin shrimp (need to figure out a sustainable way to feed it).
For corals, I'm going to do a mixed reef. I want to focus on corals that are in pretty good demand in my local club so that I can DBTC them as they grow. My 'pencil list' includes WOW palys, bam bams, purple haze monti, an alveopora, a bonsai, a few bright orange mushrooms and a couple of mango colored yumas.

OP
OP
C

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Just dosed the tank with Microbacter7 that we had in the fish room. That should shorten up the cycle time. I also added the other piece of rock, and a yuma (I think it's a yuma, but it might just be a ricordia. Not really sure.).

OP
OP
C

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided that I didn't want to ruin the bookcase that the tank is sitting on. Went to the flea market yesterday, and got a lovely wood cabinet for $25 that will make an excellent stand. Just need to sand it down and stain it darker. That will be happening today. Coincidentally, I'm also going to stain some balusters for my back patio today, and will use the extra stain from that project to do the stand. I'm also going to do a water test, and see where my parameters are. I'm anxious to get the fish & corals in place and growing!

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cindy, We love the concept behind your tank and brilliant pick up on the stand. We're looking forward to following your progress and Good Luck with the contest!

-M&T

OP
OP
C

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the fish store today! Picked out a few beauties, and decided to update the thread.
The maxijet 900 puts out a LOT of flow, and it was pushing the sand around, so I had to move the flat base piece up to the front to deflect that a bit. So it's a bit cloudy because I was moving things around. I moved the halimeda from one 'coast' to the other, and placed a tiki god rock with green star polyp hair (they're not open because everything in there is kinda ticked off at the moment) toward the back. I may wind up downsizing that return pump if I see that it's too much flow. My main thing is that I don't want a 2nd pump mucking up the view.

Full tank shot.
DSC_0148_zps111b7b07.jpg

[/URL]
Side view.
[/IMG]
DSC_0154_zps172aeed6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ricordia (please tell me if this is a yuma or just a regular ricordia. I'm not really sure.)
DSC_0149_zpse4056613.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I picked up a pair of blue lined pipefish. They were really tough to get a pic of, because they're cruising the tank constantly.
DSC_0141_zps3f59f24e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0145_zps1e586437.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0137_zps29df7844.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Lookit what hitch hiked its way into my tank! Hopefully these lil guys will reproduce a bunch...
DSC_0125_zps2621efde.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

... because today I got a harlequin shrimp! One of the biggest I've seen.
DSC_0152_zps221d45d3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
OP
C

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've edited my original post to include a tally of expenses. None of the corals I have added so far were bought at a store, so I put what I think is fair market value for them. HOWEVER, please know that I'm not any kind of expert on coral names/rarity. I like what I like, regardless of whether others think it's fancy or not. So if I have the wrong values in there, please correct me on them, both now and in the future. I'm not going to come anywhere near the $500 'spending' limit with this build, so I'll be the last person to waste anyone's time with arguing over what the contest hosts consider fair market value.

OP
OP
C

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the "hair" on the tiki god rock.
Thanks. This tank is going to be kinda whimsical that way. I'm hoping to get it to grow in a mohawk. I'll have to keep 'trimming' it, which is fine, because one of my main missions with this tank is to dbtc as much as possible from it. And to just have fun. I tend to get all serious about my big tank, but this one is just going to be a blast, I think. I chuckle to myself whenever I look at the tiki god. I'll try to get pics today with the GSP all out and fuzzy.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my LFS has a easter island head rock that reminds me of yours and they have corals growing on the head and the nose.
I was just reading tonight a site that suggest chocolate chip starfish for the harlequin shrimp. They do not die when a leg is removed and if you feed him well he regrows in no time.

OP
OP
C

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK! Got the stand sanded down...

And then I decided to go ahead and stain it...

Haven't TOTALLY decided that I'm good with how it looks (I was hoping for darker), but I might leave it there rather than mess it up trying to make it better. It helps that it's going into a fairly dark room. It's my first time ever staining a piece of furniture, which y'all can probably tell. I figured I couldn't go wrong doing that one, since it was only $25. Worst case scenario, I'd have primed and painted it black. LOL.
Tomorrow I'll coat it with spar urethane to seal it up. The stain is for some fence slats I'm gonna use for a patio half-wall, and I found the spar urethane in the garage. So the only cost was the $25 for the cabinet at a yard sale.
I'm having an absolute blast with this build, and I'm learning a TON of non-reef-related stuff on this build. When we build the LED into the stock hood, I'll get to learn about electricity and leds and such. Today I learned about sanding and staining furniture.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CindyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided that the stock skimmer on the Wave 9 is garbage. Either that, or I am terrible at tuning it. It isn't skimming much. It just fills with water and overflows, and it's noisy for it's size. So, I'm going to pull it out and use something else to help filter the water instead. Maybe carbon or chemipure, as I have both of those in my fish room already. Added a rose bubble tip and Steal (the snowflake clown) today, along with a couple of corals from my tank. Still waiting to hear about the FMV on candy canes and alveopora.
One interesting development is that the pipefish pair are eating frozen food. I thought they'd only eat pods, so I added a whole bottle of tigger pods to the tank yesterday. Then last night I put a tiny bit of frozen food in for the tailspot, and the pipefish went after it. I'm a little concerned, however, because the tailspot didn't seem interested in the frozen food, and I had heard that they race out of their caverns to gather food at feeding time. So I'm keeping an eye on him. Despite being brand new to the tank, Steal demonstrated a voracious appetite tonight.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back