My Reef Octopus Octo T90 Build

Steve Zee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I fell off the wagon after 15 years! As a former saltwater mixed tank guy, I had no idea how much things have changed during that time and for the better! I posted in the Meet and Greet forum and mentioned doing a build thread just for others that might need help with this setup because it came with very little information. I spent a couple months researching and decided to go with the Reef Octopus "Octo Lux T90" mostly because it was the perfect fit (size wise) for the only space approved by wife.

I also have a few general questions but will share my progress so far and you can tell me where I’m messing up. Other than the lack of information, I really like this setup. My first questions to any experts will be regarding noise which I'll explain this plumbing setup and my confusion on how to set it up properly. So here you go-

What’ s included:
  • Octo LUX T90 Aquarium
  • Octo LUX Cabinet Stand
  • Integrated Slim Overflow System
  • Auto UP Reservoir
  • Reef Octopus PVC Sump with Filter Sock
  • ATO Float Valve
  • AQ-3000 Return Pump
  • Reef Octopus Classic 150INT Protein Skimmer
  • Added Components:
  • Helio 200w Heater dual elements
  • VIPARSPECTRA 165x LED
  • MagTool ZKSJ Slim Pro Aquarium Wave Pump
My approve space by wife.
20220924_091013.jpg

Cabinet/Stand extremally well built and looks great. Available in Black.
20220924_132349.jpg

Included is a Octo OS-30B Reef Sump
20220924_132403.jpg

Tank and initial plumbing work added light below
20221004_191818.jpg

Leak Test
20220927_170031.jpg

Meanwhile in the garage
20220923_163402.jpg

Aquascape complete and filling tank.
20221005_170521.jpg

Start of fishless cycle - Dr. Tim's and live sand.
20221017_163411.jpg

Aquascape close up.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, I'm considering this same setup and have a question regarding the sump. Is the first chamber on the left side supposed to be a refugium? If so, do you know the dimensions? I see you have the float valve for the gravity feed ATO in it.

OP
OP
Steve Zee

Steve Zee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I was just going to post a link to what my package described my sump as: a (OS-30B) and assumed the OS-30A was the same with layout flipped (return chamber on opposite side) but it is not the same! As you probably already know, hence the question. I will get you the dimensions when I get back later today. As far as the refugium chamber. I would assume this would be an acceptable chamber. It’s small though. I just assumed it was an additional baffling chamber for bubbles and noise that included the sump level adjustment.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I reached out to Octo and they sent me the sump schematic. Seems small indeed and when I ask, they said that the sump didn’t include a refugium. (Which as you mentioned could be extra baffle and not intended for a refugium.

Do you happen to know the dimensions of the pipes? If I end up getting the tank this is one thing I would like to change and do hard plumbing. I saw CoralVue is a distributor and have a bunch of Octo plumbing part which is good since Octo uses metric.

Ps I ask but still waiting on a response.

Attachments

• OS-30B.pdf
    122.5 KB · Views: 95

jhart0005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up the same tank (in black) and your not kidding about lack of info on it! Thank you for your post. Btw I'm stealing your garage idea, very cool.
1000023305.jpg

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back