My Reefer 350, 4 months, the good and the bad

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, greetings from the EU. Hope everyone stays safe. I thought it would be fun to post how my 4 first months have been, both the good stuff and the bad (read: my mistakes). Have been reefing for many years but was out of the hobby for the last 4.

First a few pictures as of today.
IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

Equipment:

Redsea skimmer sk600 (large for this setup)
Nyos torq reactor (GAC and Ultraphos in separate layers)
Flow: Maxspect Gyre and a Jabao
Return: Jabao
Doser: GHL doser 2.1
Mechanical filtration: Cups, filled with denitrate and a bit of gravel, then filter floss on top (exchanged daily, takes 10s). Hate socks (sorry)
Lights: 3x Hydra 32hd
Started with dry/man-made/dead rock (cooked and cycled in a can for a month prior to tank introduction). Took 2 other rocks from a Nano I had prior as well
Dosed Vibrant after 2 weeks to prevent too ugly startup. Doing that still

So as you can probably tell, I'm not the kind of guy that waits 12 months before starting SPS. I probably had the first in after 2 months.
What are we dosing:

Pump1: TM All for reef (yes no 2-3 part). All in one. Monitor ALK daily. Currently dosing 18 times a day via doser 2.1
Pump2: 0.5ml vodka once daily
Pump3: Bacteria once daily
Pump4: Acropower once daily
Manual: Reef roids once per week

Parameters:
No3: 5
Po4: 0.08
Alk: 8.2
(haven't measured mag and cal for a while)

First the mistakes and how I overcame them:

# Dinos: Oh no. Before I had my Hana checkers my po4 tests were not accurate enough. Had them go to zero. With dead rock it goes south quickly. Fix: Dose po4 where it needs to be, 3 day blackout, dosing h2o2 at twice a day. After black out run a bit dirtier for 2 weeks, no glass cleaning. Gone
# Cyano: Oh no. I got a bit of bryopsis on a frag that spread, so I wanted to see if Vibrant could take it (it can't). At the same time had made a mistake on my vodka dosing. Instead of disturbing the tank too much, decided to get it over with in one go using red slime remove. Then dose no3 to where it needs to be. All gone.
# Bryopsis: Very small patches here and there and not spreading. Hard to notice. Decided to leave it for now. Will perhaps do fluconazole at some point.
# Corals that didn't make it: My number one mistake I still make to this day is not acclimating the SPS to the lights for long enough. I simply can't wait moving them to their final position. Besides bleaching I got a few with STN. Adjusted, fragged and then fine for those affected.

Many corals were bought relatively large, and growth has been good. I still struggle with red/pink goniopora (look great and then decides to die).

Fish: I have a bit too many fish in there now for my liking. I thought I was buying a very small copperband but it was a larger one. When it came in the yellowtang got aggrssive. 3 days with mirror and now they are all best friends. Its going really well. Copperband didn't eat first 3 days. Mixing mysis with brine scrimp and he will eat it all day long now. Feed twice per day and between meals he picks at the rocks. Tangs get more veggies
I will likely take the clowns back to the LFS at some point. A bit too many fish in there even though they all get along

Routine:

# Weekly 15% water changes
# Replace filter wool daily
# Blow off rocks an stir sandbed every few weeks

We'll see what the next few months brings.

IMG_0531.JPG IMG_0529.JPG

Last edited:

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see your video but your tank is beautiful! Welcome! Lots of nice folks here

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. For some reason I can only see it on my computer (osx) not iphone.

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets try attachment.

And thanks. Very (very) long time lurker.

Attachments

• IMG_0535.MOV
    36.1 MB
OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd give another update. Tank is now, what, 1.5 years old, doing great. I had one incident a while back where I lost half my sps. I think becaue a medium sized fish decided to dye in my tank given me cyano. Beat that and got a few new sps pieces that are growing well.

Current problem: My BTA has split from 1 to like 7 pieces now. How do I get them out? if I disturb them the crawl back into the rock and become impossible to move. I just started a new clown Nano (in an ADA 90 tank, super shallow) and would be good to move one there.

Love my GHL setup and will be getting and ION director when available I think.

Happy reefing

IMG_0572.JPG

img_0573-jpg.2198723

IMG_0576.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 114
OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me try a better picture.

What do folks recommend filter wise for an iphone?

Image-1.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good; glad things have smoothed out over time.

Yeah I went through the BTA splitting problem once. Never again. Cost me a ton of my corals as they ran around stinging stuff.

Eventually I had to remove them all. Took most of a day. Had to completely break down my reef -- thankfully it was only the RS250. I drained a bunch of tank water into a tub and just kept removing the upper rocks. Most of the nems feet were attached to the base rock pieces. I used my fingernails to gently peel the feet out of the rock. A couple rocks I had to bust up in order to remove the BTA.

The LFS gave me a bunch of store credit for them. I now just stick with tube anemones.

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it....break down reef....auch...I can't do that. Its running great at the moment. At it's best. Really pleased with it and possibly the best mixed reef I ever did.

Guess I'll just have to live it them slowly taking over my taking turning it into a clownfish heaven. oh well.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it....break down reef....auch...I can't do that. Its running great at the moment. At it's best. Really pleased with it and possibly the best mixed reef I ever did.

Guess I'll just have to live it them slowly taking over my taking turning it into a clownfish heaven. oh well.
Well, I had other reasons to break the whole thing up. I was well past the "sweet spot" that you are enjoying now.

I needed to remove about a hectares worth of orange monti cap. Between the BTAs and the cap, it became an orange tank.

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah that makes sense. Yeah if I develop a serious issue (knock on wood) I’ll get two birds with one stone if I ever have to remove rock.

The sad part is now this is running great I started another tank. Reefers can’t just enjoy it when things are well. Guess it’s the journey there that drives the hobby

Kol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great tank. What’s your light settings

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back