13   0   0
welcome33.gif

hellenkellerisafake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks. Been lurking quite a bit in the shadows but decided to do a formal Introduction.

I'm Tim from Jenkintown PA. I'm very new to this hobby, although it has always intrigued me. As the title says, it was in-fact my Psychiatrist that told me, insisted really, I needed a new hobby. Something that can be engaging, educational, occupy lots of time and provide a good level of pleasure while doing it.

Before this endeavor, I did woodworking for almost 20+ yrs. I did everything from small boxes to designing and building my own home - by myself. About 5 yrs back, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. And with worsening tremors and slow reaction times, woodworking was clearly not a great fit while running 5HP shapers, table saws, or using razor-sharp chisels. So I had to give that all up.

Which brings me to today.

I did have a work associate from years back that loved and showed me pictures of his reef tank. He shared many of his own tips that I clearly remember. The first and most important being: "A saltwater aquarium isn't a fish tank or reef tank, but rather an artificial ecosystem in which fish and corals can live and thrive." At the time, I was also getting into gardening in a big way, and what he said really clicked. Being the scientific/analytical type, I didn't just buy flowers and plants, stick em in the ground hoping for botanical garden results. Rather, I researched the species, soil/light/nutrient requirements and then decided if that plant was a good fit. With gardening, I also had to cope with weeds, pests, and diseases if I wanted the garden to be all-it-could-be. Do these struggles sound familiar?

And - true to personal form , I've never been one to "start small" or "test the waters", so to speak. It's always "jump in with both feet, knowing full well I may get water up my nose".

That said, my first endeavor is a 120G 48x24x24 built-in (as in, in the wall) tank with as much automation as I can provide. Being a data scientist & process consultant by trade, I "think" I can also program some type of AI Intelligence system to assist in tank management. Because -- why not, right?

And the best part, I have the full backing of my wife - even after letting her know the amount of time and finances required to be successful in my first "Eco-System".

Wish me luck!
ur doctor just doesn’t get it:p

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A hobby? This is Stress !!

1685933137226.png

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has a different reason to reef, and I know you will find happiness and support with yours. I struggled with alcohol addiction for 20+ years. When I quit, I leaned more on my reefing, and it has helped keep me sober for two years now, and is my lifestyle. Welcome to Reef2Reef, and welcome to your new hobby. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
gif_1684698960148.gif

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world Tim. Sorry to hear about your health problem. Hope this hobby improves your physical and mental well being. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting entre into the hobby. I got a buddy been living with Parkinsons for +15 years now. He went ahead with the Deep Brain stimulator implant and is actually doing pretty good. But he could use a good hobby.

For automation, you going with APEX or you going to DIY your way?

OP
OP
M

MrWellington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting entre into the hobby. I got a buddy been living with Parkinsons for +15 years now. He went ahead with the Deep Brain stimulator implant and is actually doing pretty good. But he could use a good hobby.

For automation, you going with APEX or you going to DIY your way?
Thanks. Yes, DBS is amazing technology. While i'm not looking forward to having a hole drilled into the center of my brain, it's definitely on the menu in the next few yrs.

I'm starting with APEX. I want to see how much of the raw data is available and what it does under the hood. Unfortunately, Neptune hasn't made the API available.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back