OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the cabinet to match the stand minus a door. Plus I was able to move my printer. Now I just need a small comfy chair to put on the other side of my desk for lounging and staring at the tank.
20190102_213508.jpeg
IMG_20190102_213440_215.jpeg
IMG_20190102_213440_216.jpeg

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few updates.

1. I forgot to change my DI resin.... tested the rodi water and it was .09198ppm not terrible but my tank is still young so it's not helping.
2. I have bee dosing NO3 almost dialed in.
3. I finished my cabinet beside the tank to hide my top off water.
4. I picked up 11 corals from aqua sd's weekend sale.
5. I won their $200 LPS frag pack prize. Will post pics this weekend!
6. Started dosing Red Sea Trace Colors.
7. Temporarily runnig GFO until I have my resin replaced and gha algae in check. [I have seen worse with algae] .

Codym808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good!! I also run a 40 breeder with 20 long sump. I like that the skimmer is in the same compartment as the return, saves space for a fuge/frag section. You have anymore pictures of the sump? I'm in the middle of designing a new diy sump.

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good!! I also run a 40 breeder with 20 long sump. I like that the skimmer is in the same compartment as the return, saves space for a fuge/frag section. You have anymore pictures of the sump? I'm in the middle of designing a new diy sump.
No. Just the ones at the beginning of the thread. I have a frag rack int the center now. I plan on some uodate pics after I get some corals tomorrow.

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frags are in!!!!! Lights aren't on yet. AquaSD is awesome!!! Also all of my filters came in so I am able to fix that issue too. The last pic is the frag pack I won. Cant wait to see the colors. I bought a bunch of blue acros and a rainbow millie!!!
20190111_115912~2.jpeg
20190111_115955.jpeg
20190111_120003.jpeg

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see and echinata, I’m jealous lol looking good though!
I have wanted one in this tank soooo bad. Last shipment it was a doa and I am frequently told by the lfs's in my area that I am the only sps guy they talk with. They said they cant wait until i start supplying them.

Codym808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, polyp extension on the echinata already too!

Do you have problems with microbubbles getting into your display since the skimmer is in the same chamber as the return pump?

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, polyp extension on the echinata already too!

Do you have problems with microbubbles getting into your display since the skimmer is in the same chamber as the return pump?
Yeah I wish it looked as blue as the pic when i bought it but different lights and shipping stress. And no its the other way around. The overflow is on the right side of the dt so the skimmer is in the first chamber, and the there is the bubble trap plus I keep a powerhead on full blast in the first chamber to keep detritus out from under my skimmer.

Codym808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, I was under the impression your skimmer was in the return chamber this whole time ;Facepalm

The blue will come back on your echinata eventually!

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I increased the photo period over my sump, being that is where my macro algae is to increase competition against the dinos. I dialed back the photo period in my main tank 1 hour to reduce the growth of the dinos. I may invest in a UV sterilizer again if this approach does not produce results.

Codym808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I had a really bad case of dino’s at the beginning of my tanks life too. It’s usually due to an in balances of phosphate and nitrate. Have you tested recently? It will go away on its own once things are stable. Try not to make big changes as it’ll only make it worst

OP
OP
mshonk

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I had a really bad case of dino’s at the beginning of my tanks life too. It’s usually due to an in balances of phosphate and nitrate. Have you tested recently? It will go away on its own once things are stable. Try not to make big changes as it’ll only make it worst
Actually my tank used to run po4 at .01 -.02 and no3 0ppm. I started doesing no3 to get to 1 ppm and I still maintain between .5 -1ppm. I want richer colors in mt sps.

Anyway I know two things that caused it. I forgot to change out my di resin. I started dosing my trace elements and I thing the two combined created a great opportunity. It is already receding. By this time normally the sand has a thin coat on it barely holding any bubbles and today it is patchy like. 50/50. And my po3 went from .06 to .039 since changed my di resin.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back