My SPS tank

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still trying to drag the secrets out of him guys he's not giving them up!!!!
Amazing tank stunning coloration of sps and all done without a doser or cal reactor no controllers of any kind
Tank is stunning my hats off to you hope my tank can come around over next few months to be half as nice I'd be happy!!!

OP
OP
rideit6578

rideit6578

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still trying to drag the secrets out of him guys he's not giving them up!!!!
Amazing tank stunning coloration of sps and all done without a doser or cal reactor no controllers of any kind
Tank is stunning my hats off to you hope my tank can come around over next few months to be half as nice I'd be happy!!!

Thanks Matt, it means a lot! I have no secrets to keep! Just good husbandry and whisper sweet nothings to the corals every night before bed. Looking forward to seeing your tank progress!

OP
OP
rideit6578

rideit6578

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick update.
IMG_4792.jpg
IMG_4766.jpg
IMG_4763.jpg
IMG_4784.jpg

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite tanks. Latest photos look amazing! Can you please share a little detail on your methodology?

Things I'd like to know about:

1. How often you feed the fishes and SPS corals? What do you feed the fishes and SPS corals?

2. Stability: What is it that you actually do to maintain stability? What parameters are you attempting to keep stable?

3. How much do you mess around with the tank? - Changing tube combos, moving rocks, rearranging corals etc.

4. Water changes, how often, how much? Do you attempt to keep a VERY clean sump for example? Any chance of a sump photo?

5. How long is your lighting hours? How high above waterline is the fixture?

6. Matt mentioned that you dont have a doser or Ca reactor. What do you dose to maintain Ca and Alk?

7. Can you say a few words about Alk and how you deal with it since you are either using Kalk or dosing by hand each day.

I have asked for a lot of info, so please respond when it is convenient for you. I will really really appreciate the responses.

Many thanks. This tank is amazing and you are clearly doing an awesome job because the corals are evidence of that. :)

OP
OP
rideit6578

rideit6578

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Sahin! I'll do my best to answer all your questions, I'm not sure why Matt said I'm not giving him my secrets, when he was over he practically went over my tank with a magnifying glass! :tongue:
But first I have a question for you, on your tank thread why can't I see your pictures? It says you're too popular for me then something about photobucket lol. Only the most recent picture posts on your thread show for me.

Okay, here we go.

1. I feed the fish in the tank once/twice a day. I don't feed the sps corals directly. I feed a variety to the fishes but mainly prime reef flakes, mysis, seaweed and occasionally some pellets I have. Sometimes I will shoot some of the murky water the mysis defrosted in at the sps and they seem to love it, but I don't add anything else any more. I used to experiment with aquavitro Fuel. If I remember correctly it was just a bca or amino acid compound. Smelled horrible but the sticks seemed to like it.

2. Weekly water changes and I dose by hand daily. I have dosers but I'm waiting on a friend to build me a stand before I mount/connect them...really hoping growth will increase with the stability in lvls. SG is at 1.024/26 Alk is usually a little low and I'm always fighting it. I'd like it to be around 8.7-9.1 Calcium is 440-460.

3. Oh god, I was very unhappy with my rock work for quite some time but I have it now where I'm almost okay with it! I have one more spot to fill in. If you saw my tank, the left side is all grown in and some of the right side too but the middle is now all frags. Because I was so unhappy with the rocks I didn't want to place anything and have it start encrusting then move the rocks around. So now I have to wait for the middle to grow in.

Bulb combo has yet to be experimented with, although I am looking into it. Any recommendations?

4. Once a week, 10 gallons. My sump is kind of dirty, I clean it out once a month but it is definitely in need of a good cleaning.

5. Blues are on for 11hrs, the rest are on for 8. Then I have a diy led fixture for moonlights that I put on at night sometimes.

6. B-Ionic. Although odds are I'll be running a calcium reactor on my next tank.

7. ^^ dosing 2 part. But as I stated earlier I have trouble keeping it a little higher. Maybe I should put some Kalk in the ato?

Thanks again for the kind words. Hopefully I get some good growth and can add more photos soon.

OP
OP
rideit6578

rideit6578

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great, Dan! Really impressive color!
:bigsmile: my life is complete. But seriously, we need more pics from your tank James. Just text them to me if you don't want to share them with r2r lol. If you're ever on Long Island and want to stop by let me know!

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for the answers to my questions. :yo:

As for the T5 combo, I would stick with what you are using. A lot of people use 4xBlue+, 1xPurple+ and 1xCoral+. You can try it, but you might find it isn't as bright.

OP
OP
rideit6578

rideit6578

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures taken under my DIY Moonlight LED fixture. Still not sure how to capture all the colors under this lighting but the greens are pretty true.
no my rocks aren't purple lol, but my GBN is very florescent in the recent months as is my ponape. Let me know what you guys think.
IMG_4838.jpg
IMG_4850.jpg
IMG_4851.jpg
IMG_4865.jpg

I have some corals coming in a few weeks that I'm very excited for so stay tuned.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my subscription somehow...Anyway, tank is looking superb!
drool.gif

Your SPS growth looks excellent! Well done with this tank. :) I'm surprised this tank thread doesnt get more attention! This is one of those hidden gems of a tank. I wish I could have seen it in person.

Do you run any GFO or Aluminium based Phosphate remover?

OP
OP
rideit6578

rideit6578

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I'm experimenting with rowaphos now. Other than that no big changes except for a huge order from RMF :eek: I'll post some pictures up soon.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I'm experimenting with rowaphos now. Other than that no big changes except for a huge order from RMF :eek: I'll post some pictures up soon.

How many cups of rowaphos are you using? Why have you started to use it? -your coral colours look excellent...wouldn't have thought you need to use it?

Back