My Starry Blenny laid eggs....

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two starry blennys in a 57 gallon reef tank. Last week I noticed the larger one had turned whitish from the usual color of dark brown/black. Yesterday I was using a magnet cleaner which I leave in the tank to help hold up a frag shelf when I noticed a couple hundred little translucent bubbles stuck on the bottom. I immediately stopped using the magnet and returned it to its resting place. Almost immediately, the larger starry blenny swam and perched on the bubbles. I cannot find any information on a breeding pair of starry blennys, although I have read that the other fish will probably eat the babies should they hatch. I am looking for any help because this is my first time having fish breed. I would like to give them a chance to survive if possible. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. I tried to get a picture but it is difficult because of the angle. You can see her yellow tail and the eggs below.

IMG_1153.JPG

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah!

Wish I could help you, but yours is the first report I've even _read_ of starry blennies breeding in an aquarium! Congratulations!!

I'd imagine that, like most marine fish, the larvae will be tiny, and would float in the plankton for a while before being ready to act like a self-respecting blenny.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Maritimer. I was able to find a posting from 2010 in the nano reef.com community. Unfortunately, the hatched fish only made it to seven days and then died. The guy that was trying to raise them had a pair of blennies that mated weekly so he had a lot of experience, good and bad. When something didn't work out, he simply waited for the next batch. I did learn that in about 4-5 days, the eggs will turn grey and then 3-4 days later they will hatch. This will give me time to prepare some kind of set up. Also, they spoke of making a collection set up to suction the babies out of the main tank with a 2L soda bottle and some tubing. Guess I will be busy tomorrow! I also need to find "s" type rotifers...any one have ideas? I believe the "S" is for small...

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome news, congrats.
Although I can't offer any help in hatching or rearing the little ones, I suggest you take a look at mbisite.org.
There may be someone who has raised them before that kept a journal and is willing to share.

Good luck with the little ones

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great! I too have never heard of starry blenny's laying eggs in captivity. Kudos to you for providing them a great environment where they are feelin comfortable enough to do that.

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome news, congrats.
Although I can't offer any help in hatching or rearing the little ones, I suggest you take a look at mbisite.org.
There may be someone who has raised them before that kept a journal and is willing to share.

Good luck with the little ones
Thank you Vertigo 01! I will definitely look at that website!

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great! I too have never heard of starry blenny's laying eggs in captivity. Kudos to you for providing them a great environment where they are feelin comfortable enough to do that.
tj w thank you! I am very surprised this happened since I tend to kill zoas!

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FullSizeRender.jpg So I was doing research on the web last night until 2 AM and learned that the male is the one that is on the eggs. He was actually the one that turned whitish before this happened. I will try my best to update. Thank you for all the support!
Here is a better picture I just took. I apologize in advance if I am posting pictures that are too big. This is my first thread ever.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Maritimer. I was able to find a posting from 2010 in the nano reef.com community. Unfortunately, the hatched fish only made it to seven days and then died. The guy that was trying to raise them had a pair of blennies that mated weekly so he had a lot of experience, good and bad. When something didn't work out, he simply waited for the next batch. I did learn that in about 4-5 days, the eggs will turn grey and then 3-4 days later they will hatch. This will give me time to prepare some kind of set up. Also, they spoke of making a collection set up to suction the babies out of the main tank with a 2L soda bottle and some tubing. Guess I will be busy tomorrow! I also need to find "s" type rotifers...any one have ideas? I believe the "S" is for small...
Hey Cristy,

We carry contamination free, starter cultures of S-type rotifers, Brachionus rotundiformis. Look here for information: http://www.reedmariculture.com/product_instant_zooplankton_rotifers.php

We also carry culture kits (CCS), the phytoplankon-based feed and enrichment (RotiGrow Plus and RGcomplete) and weaning feeds (TDO Chroma-Boost).

Chad

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrats..hope some fry make it..it would be an amazing accomplishment to have this happen in front of you..

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have already read this, but there's been success rearing several types of marine larvae with the lights on 24 hours a day and no dark period. If you are so lucky as to succeed, I'm not sure where the cutoff is for introducing night - I'm guessing settlement, although it's unclear if a normal light schedule needs to be introduced slowly or not. This paper on breeding blennies of a different genus mentions the 24 light on for 35 days post-hatch, till the fish settled. It doesn't mention anything about when/how to introduce night, but likely the info is out there somewhere.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would assume, of course, that you have the larvae in a separate tank. I don't think your display would much appreciate the light being on 24/7!

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would assume, of course, that you have the larvae in a separate tank. I don't think your display would much appreciate the light being on 24/7!
Cherany thank you so much! This is great info since I am not finding a lot on blennies, only clown fish. I am ready to move them to a 5 gallon with an LED light when needed or put them in a net type box in the tank once they are separated out of the display tank. I think you just answered which way I I will need to set them up!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back