OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all of the advice I have received. I have decided that I am going to keep the current fish in there and keep a close eye on them incase I need to quarantine anyone else. Luckily everyone in there currently is small enough I can quarantine 1 or 2 of them in my smaller 13 gallon tank. I have made an order of quite a few Zoas and will put them in my tank after a hardy dip. From this point I’m going to just let my tank mature and sort out its chemical imbalances and keep an eye on how my corals grow. I am slightly worried about my torch coral but I bought it knowing there is a good chance it will not survive. My only other question at the moment would be my phosphates are very high at .3 this is scaring me as I know it can lead to undesirable Algae growth and potentially kill/stress corals and fish. Is there anything I can do to bring down this level to a more desirable .05. Another thing to note is my nitrates were at 12, both these reading being after the tang died, I did add some prime and did a 5 gallon water change making sure to suck a lot of the water from the sand bed and saw a noticeable drop of nitrates at between 5 and 3ppm but will have to test again today after the prime is de activated to get a true reading of what they are sitting at. I am fairly certain this is due to me adding to much food during the time I had the tang. I also plan to skip feeding today and start again tmr with a very dialed back feeding routine.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That lateral line just looks like a normal dead fish to me. The area around the gills too. HLLE usually has head damage too, IME.

Stop doing things and let the biological stuff in the tank get to work. You need to get some film algae, film bacteria, etc. Put away the test kits and just very smartly and patiently feed the fish that you have left. Don't do anything other than top off and the basics for a few weeks.

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That lateral line just looks like a normal dead fish to me. The area around the gills too. HLLE usually has head damage too, IME.

Stop doing things and let the biological stuff in the tank get to work. You need to get some film algae, film bacteria, etc. Put away the test kits and just very smartly and patiently feed the fish that you have left. Don't do anything other than top off and the basics for a few weeks.
By basics I’m assuming alk mag cal, and weekly water changes? Correct me if I’m wrong

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By basics I’m assuming alk mag cal, and weekly water changes? Correct me if I’m wrong
Basics like top offs to keep salinity stable, checking temp to make sure it's stable, and carefully feeding the fish. No testing for a couple weeks.

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today my bicolor blenny died. I am unsure if it is related to the tang. His head is almost completely detached from his body. And he was slightly under a rock… now before you say he was crushed by the rock this rock is completely against the bottom glass of the tank. And cannot/did not move.

Attachments

• IMG_4989.jpeg
    IMG_4989.jpeg
    354 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4990.jpeg
    IMG_4990.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4991.jpeg
    IMG_4991.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4992.jpeg
    IMG_4992.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4993.jpeg
    IMG_4993.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today my bicolor blenny died. I am unsure if it is related to the tang. His head is almost completely detached from his body. And he was slightly under a rock… now before you say he was crushed by the rock this rock is completely against the bottom glass of the tank. And cannot/did not move.
I think I am going to be getting rid of my tank. I obviously am not a good fish dad, if anyone is in the Denver area and would like to take the risk of having anything out of my tank send me a message. Current living live stock is two snowflake clowns a flame hawk coral beauty angle and 3 fire fish one red one purple and one helfich. No promises any of the fish will stay living. I also have a torch coral that I’m unsure if it’s doing good or not some blue alveopora, two sun corals, my miami chalice, a meteor shower cyphastria, and an assortment of zoas. I also have a 13 gallon tank with a red scooter blenny in it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back