My tank struggles with high nutrients, but also macroalgae hates my tank, what gives?

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically the title. I’ve tried various different macros through the last few years and nothing ever really takes off. What can I do to ensure macro growth?
My phos is currently around .1-.25, but on its way down with gfo. it has hovered much higher than that and has hovered much lower. I don’t currently have a reliable nitrate test kit, but it has usually been detectable. Same deal, it’s been high for a period, it’s been low for a period.

Either way, I’ve never noticed a difference in my macro health. I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt, mixed reef. IM AIO ghost skimmer. I don’t like having to use chemical filtration, but I’ve had to resort to GFO, because natural methods never seem to work for me. I’ve had a long standing GHA issue, which would rob some nutrients from the macros, but even when it’s under control, they don’t thrive.

Currently, I have some chaeto and 2 types of caulerpa stuffed in the back chamber of the AIO, growing off of a custom built LED fuge light. It’s alive and slowly growing, but sort of just maintaining, not thriving. I’m now getting GHA growth in the chaeto chamber which isn’t helping, but at least *something* is eating up some nutrients. There is no GHA in the display at the moment, just my “fuge” chamber right now.

The light is pretty strong. I started it at 100% thinking it wouldn’t be and it was burning the chaeto initially, so I lowered it and dialed it in over time.
I started dosing chaeto gro a couple weeks ago and haven’t noticed much change.

I also have a small piece of halimeda in the display(new). One branch is sad and starting to grow cyano on it, but the other couple branches look like they’re healthy and growing a bit.

I’m transitioning my tank to softies only and would like to incorporate a bunch of macros as well, but they just don’t seem to establish themselves.

I’ve tried chaeto, ulva, caulerpa, halimeda, gracilaria, botrycladia, codium, and probably 2-3 others I can’t think of on the spot. Some withered away to nothing. Some were just kind of stagnant and sad, but not failing completely. But, I’d eventually toss them anyway.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s got to be lighting or nutrients. Usually, a higher nitrate level will encourage growth. Do you have any fish or cuc that might be eating it in the display?

OP
OP
pygo1

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s got to be lighting or nutrients. Usually, a higher nitrate level will encourage growth. Do you have any fish or cuc that might be eating it in the display?
I should get a better nitrate test kit and see where I’m really at with that, but as mentioned, I’ve had issues when it’s both high and low, so it’s kinda stumping me.

I’ve had a couple varieties get chewed on by snails a bit in the past(mainly the ulva), but pretty much everything else has been left alone. It’s a 30gal, so I don’t have any tangs that would chomp on it.

If nitrate ends up being low, I do have some potassium nitrate I could dose, so maybe I’ll give that a try. Just feels so wrong to dose on a tank that’s always struggled with nutrient removal lol

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically the title. I’ve tried various different macros through the last few years and nothing ever really takes off. What can I do to ensure macro growth?
My phos is currently around .1-.25, but on its way down with gfo. it has hovered much higher than that and has hovered much lower. I don’t currently have a reliable nitrate test kit, but it has usually been detectable. Same deal, it’s been high for a period, it’s been low for a period.

Either way, I’ve never noticed a difference in my macro health. I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt, mixed reef. IM AIO ghost skimmer. I don’t like having to use chemical filtration, but I’ve had to resort to GFO, because natural methods never seem to work for me. I’ve had a long standing GHA issue, which would rob some nutrients from the macros, but even when it’s under control, they don’t thrive.

Currently, I have some chaeto and 2 types of caulerpa stuffed in the back chamber of the AIO, growing off of a custom built LED fuge light. It’s alive and slowly growing, but sort of just maintaining, not thriving. I’m now getting GHA growth in the chaeto chamber which isn’t helping, but at least *something* is eating up some nutrients. There is no GHA in the display at the moment, just my “fuge” chamber right now.

The light is pretty strong. I started it at 100% thinking it wouldn’t be and it was burning the chaeto initially, so I lowered it and dialed it in over time.
I started dosing chaeto gro a couple weeks ago and haven’t noticed much change.

I also have a small piece of halimeda in the display(new). One branch is sad and starting to grow cyano on it, but the other couple branches look like they’re healthy and growing a bit.

I’m transitioning my tank to softies only and would like to incorporate a bunch of macros as well, but they just don’t seem to establish themselves.

I’ve tried chaeto, ulva, caulerpa, halimeda, gracilaria, botrycladia, codium, and probably 2-3 others I can’t think of on the spot. Some withered away to nothing. Some were just kind of stagnant and sad, but not failing completely. But, I’d eventually toss them anyway.
Could be iron, not enough of it.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert but our phosphate level was so high it took an expert to test (Meleves reef, Mark). Our Cheato had to be harvested to control. The only coral that would grow are 25+ year old mushrooms and palys that came from live rock. Good luck!

macrouk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly not… especially for those with a lot of red species (although I appreciate to don’t). Continuum basis chaeto grow is very similar to chaetogro but contains x3 times as much iron - so that would be one easy option for you to up iron levels. It’s revealing that this alternative product has such a different quantity - I know many people who dose iron when using chaetogro.

OP
OP
pygo1

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert but our phosphate level was so high it took an expert to test (Meleves reef, Mark). Our Cheato had to be harvested to control. The only coral that would grow are 25+ year old mushrooms and palys that came from live rock. Good luck!
Thanks, it seems I've reached the perfect equilibrium where coral won't grow, but neither will chaeto:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
pygo1

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly not… especially for those with a lot of red species (although I appreciate to don’t). Continuum basis chaeto grow is very similar to chaetogro but contains x3 times as much iron - so that would be one easy option for you to up iron levels. It’s revealing that this alternative product has such a different quantity - I know many people who dose iron when using chaetogro.
interesting note. I've heard good things about chaetogro, so I figured it'd be all I needed. That's pretty unfortunate that it's not. Especially for how small of a quantity I'm working with.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back