My Triton Experience at 8 Months

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

gvontz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had originally posted my initial positive experience with the Triton Elementz system at 3 months and wanted to post a follow up at month 8.

I am amazed at how well my 150 g DT with mixed SPS and LPS is doing after 8 months with no water changes. I have to admit that I thought this experiment had a chance to go horribly wrong. After doing water changes for 20 plus years on the belief that you had to change water to remove the build up of toxic compounds and to replace trace elements it seemed like a huge leap of faith.

I have a 40 g refugium that I run with chaeto, Rox carbon, a little HC GFO with the refugium lit at night when the DT LEDs are off. Over the 8 months I have virtually no algae issues in the DT and my nitrates and phosphates are low and comparable or better than before I was running Triton.

Initially I thought the costs of the Triton Base Elementz (TBE) was on the expensive side at approximately $80 for the set, but at the 8 month mark it looks like I will go through about 1.5 sets of TBE for the year. Over the 8 months I have gone to a schedule of having Triton test my water once every 2-3 months (roughly $50/test). After my first test after running the system I was a bit surprised to see how many of tests were out of spec. It required me to purchase a pretty wide range of individual supplements to correct the variances. Now that the tank is at 8 months my recent Triton water analysis showed only minor deviations that were easily tweaked with the individual supplements I had previously purchased. It seems my tank and its mix of SPS, LPS and others metabolize some of the trace elements at a small variance to what is supplied by the Base Elementz. So now when I look at the Triton system in aggregate for what the projected costs will be for a year its very cost effective vs my old system of bimonthly 20% water changes, analytical test kits and various supplements and trace element costs. If you go the extra step of considering how much time and additional costs I save from not doing water changes (RO/DI equipment and salt mix) its a no brainer. I spend so much more time enjoying my tank.

Over the last 8 months I have seen my SPS grow very nicely with excellent colors, in fact everything has done very well in the tank. Of course growth and health of corals are also affected by choice of lighting, spectrum, duration of lighting and other non-light related variables. I run my tank with Radions with roughly 9 hours of light a day with spectrum that moves from 17.5K in the early mornings and late afternoons, peaking at 15K at mid day with a maximum intensity of 85%.

The Triton Elements, periodic testing and quarterly trace element correction has resulted in a cost effective (cost saving) alternative to water changes, greatly reduced my personal labor involved with maintaining a large reef tank, as well as improving my success and enjoyment of the hobby. My personal conclusion is that the Triton Method (Elementz, testing and tweaking the broad panel of trace elements based on bench marked natural sea water) is a significant step forward in our cherished hobby. Its not an inconsequential investment to get a good dosing pump system which is required to run the system, but in the long run I believe its the best system our hobby has to offer and would strongly recommend it those that are interested.

OP
OP
G

gvontz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GVs 150 DT.JPG

TankRazr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

Thanks for posting.

I use the Triton testing, just haven't gotten on board with the supplements yet. Also haven't done water changes in years.

TR

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eight month report is just like yours Gvontz. Except My tank is mostly SPS frags with a few LPS an Gorgonians. The 120 gallon DT is consuming 192 ml of each base elementz per day. 350 ml of tank water is exported per day because the salinity started rising. So apparently more stony corals = more base elementz. So I'm buying four to five sets of elementz per year for me.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gvontz your tank is amazing. But you could have the same tank with traditional ways.

Don't get me wrong. I am not knocking on triton. All I am saying is its easier to do water changes and achieve the same result.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
^^ But to not do water changes don't you have to measure all trace elements. That takes time.

Then you have either raise or decrease the trace elements, that takes time.

You have to maintain a spreadsheet to track all the elements.

You have to do triton testing every month or more to see where your trace elements are.

This requires time and money.

I just prefer to do a 5 gallon change on my tank. Takes less than 5 minutes to do it.

Again I am not saying you are wrong. I am having a friendly debate to understand what about water changes is so hard that you have chosen to do all this other extra work.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton creates a stable environment. I test every 3 or four months. Sometimes I had to do water changes because of a build up of one or two elementz. The salts differ from batch to batch and with water changes there is a build up of some of the elementz. This can be seen in a lot of the tanks who tried the Triton Test for the first time. I've been reef keeping for 30+ years, I'm still learning But I never had such a great tank as now using this reef keeping method. It's so easy and stable.
I guess if someone has a small reef cube tank water changes would be the way to go.

Gene

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
^Sounds like the topic for another thread/discussion.

TR
I am not trying to create trouble. I thought this thread was appropriate because I was asking his opinion on the eight month triton mark.

It's good to have first hand experience of a reefer before I jump on the triton bandwagon too.

See where he says his tank is more stable. That is the kinda info I was looking for.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just because I am trying to ask question doesn't mean I am putting triton or its methods down.

I am trying to learn more from his experience before I make an informed decision.

I feel sometimes that water changes messes with the stability of the tank. After talking to him I realized that no water changes could lead to a more stability.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good to hear of your success. I'm a month into using triton and so far so good. I switched from 45 ml/day of b ionic 2 part and was shocked to discover this same tank required 145 ml of each elementz to maintain dkh 8. Since I started triton I have noticed improved polyp extension and growth. The axial coralytes are clearly more defined. The tips of my Garth bonzai used to be rounded but now they have squared off and are growing up. Also the growth in my refugium has exploded. I used to harvest macro algae every 4-5 weeks now I have to trim every 3-4 weeks.
Also on the topic of time conservation, I used to have to change out the filter sock every 2-3 days. This would take me more time than most because I would save all the pods and starfish (except the astarineas). Not any more.:) I now only use a mesh bag once a week when I clean the refugium.

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ But to not do water changes don't you have to measure all trace elements. That takes time.

Then you have either raise or decrease the trace elements, that takes time.

You have to maintain a spreadsheet to track all the elements.

You have to do triton testing every month or more to see where your trace elements are.

This requires time and money.

I just prefer to do a 5 gallon change on my tank. Takes less than 5 minutes to do it.

Again I am not saying you are wrong. I am having a friendly debate to understand what about water changes is so hard that you have chosen to do all this other extra work.

I enjoy these questions. Especially when people are nice;) This is all about learning. The truth is that running a tank with or without water changes can work just fine if done correctly. The Triton method takes much of the guesswork out of successfully keeping an SPS dominated tank. This is what it is designed for. It minimizes equipment, options and variables which results in less obstacles for the average hobbyist to bump into along the road to success.

As for taking time to test all the trace elements, they are all done in a single batch test for $49.00 Chasing exact trace element levels is not something we preach. Using the ICP testing to see that your levels are in the acceptable ranges is a more efficient use of the test.

You don't need to raise or lower all the trace elements, see above.

You only need to do a spreadsheet if you really have time on your hands and enjoy spending time on this hobby. It really isn't necessary. If you don't need a spreadsheet for success with water changes, then you certainly wouldn't need it when doing the triton method.

You don't have to do triton tests every month. We recommend every 3 or 4 months. If you start a new tank with good salt and use only the base elementz you should stay consistently in the green zone on most of the 32 parameters that triton tests for. It is a balanced solution and thats the great part about it. With it you are adding all the key macro and traces every day. If your tank happens to need a little more of say, iodine, or potassium because of the types of corals your particular tank houses, then you have the ability to add just these. This should be the same with a tank ran on water changes. You can't fine tune any of the trace elements by simply exchanging water with a balanced salt mix. The mix has everything in it.

As for the time and money, compared to other systems, Triton is designed to provide excellent replicable results at a cost that really is comparable to other great systems out there. It is not tying to be the cheap alternative by any means. The value is in the ease of use and chances of success.

The main issue with water changes that I can't emphasis enough is that it is a variable. Stability is best achieved in a stable system by limiting variables.

-Joe

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 135 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back