My Yellow Tang is awesome.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 6 months ago I rescued a yellow tang from a disaster. He was in a bad way from HLLE. Anyhow, he’s doing awesome and is paying karma forward. I recently grabbed another Anthia and the Flame Angel was giving it a hard time (go figure). The YT has been the tank boss since I got him here and he asserted himself to the Anthia’s benefit. Bodyguard duty. Hopefully the video works as it’s an awesome thing to watch.

Last edited:

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah that Tang is sizing up the Anthias, and is still curious and lost in what to do with it.
From what experience i have with them, the only good attention a Tang can give is 0 attention.

Everything else means its still processing if it should go postal or not.
If it keeps hugging the Anthias id be a bit worried, if it starts ignoring it, and doing Tang stuff, then its gonna be OK.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah that Tang is sizing up the Anthias, and is still curious and lost in what to do with it.
From what experience i have with them, the only good attention a Tang can give is 0 attention.

Everything else means its still processing if it should go postal or not.
If it keeps hugging the Anthias id be a bit worried, if it starts ignoring it, and doing Tang stuff, then its gonna be OK.
Bahahaha

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that this behaviour has been going on for a couple days now. I was surprised to say the least. Another bonus was that Anthia welcomed the cleaner shrimp to do his cleaner thing. Since the other fish saw that, they all take turns at the cleaner shrimps cleaning stations a few times a day. Until then , none of the other fish would let either shrimp near them for a cleaning. A great addition all around.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad that you turned the yellow tangs health around.

Hlle is an easy fix as long as you feed a proper diet.
Yeah, unfortunately this is as good as he’s going to look. His fins aren’t growing back, colour is still faded, and he’s thicker than most. I’m sure he won’t last as long as most, but he’s a great pet. He needs a bigger tank, but until I can rehome it to somewhere that he can live out his years happy and well cared for, I’ll keep it healthy.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen the video, but adding Selcon and Vitachem to the food will return the fin and color.

can it really regrow that fin?
Its pretty much gone... the entire top dorsal fin.

It has a few numbs where they should be a beautful top fin, i think the bones/cartiledge is completely gone as well.

If Selcon is that amazing, im thinking i should keep one in my fish fridge for emergencies.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, proper diet will bring that tang to its former glory.

My buddy got a YT from a guy who was years removed from finding any pleasure in keeping a reef tank. The tank inhabitants were neglected and in poor health.

My buddy got the YT in bad shape. A case of HLLE and his dorsal looked like a unicorn.

Roughly a year or so later I was over and asked the where abouts of said fish, and he pointed at what could be the poster child for a healthy specimen.

He uses selcon and vitachem religiously when preparing food. And that's what he accredited the turn around to.

I can't remember a time that I didn't add those 2 additives to the fish food.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen the video, but adding Selcon and Vitachem to the food will return the fin and color.
The short answer is no it didn’t. I feed live soaked with garlic, selcon, vitamins and angle elixir with Nouri (both red and green alternating) and it is slightly better but it will never come back to the original glory. So I applaud your wishful thinking but it’s not true in this fish’s case. It was too far gone.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is no it didn’t. I feed live soaked with garlic, selcon, vitamins and angle elixir with Nouri (both red and green alternating) and it is slightly better but it will never come back to the original glory. So I applaud your wishful thinking but it’s not true in this fish’s case. It was too far gone.
Give it time

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back