My zoa polyps got a really weird shape since few days

Ghrommi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow zoa keepers, does anyone know why polyps would turn into such a weird shape? There are like this for a few days already.
Only these two polyps look like this, others look normal. Zoa also seems to be healthy otherwise, new polyps are growing.
Could it be due to a high temperature? It's hot in my area at the moment. I cool it down when I'm home, but the tank gets up to 28°C (82.4°F) during the day.
That's my first and only zoa, I want it to be well :(
DSC_6046.jpg

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so to start the tank is getting hot and temperature fluctuations put stress on the inhabitants I think that could be an issue and a factor but may not be the only one... what are your parameters and are they fairly stable? What’s your flow in that area give or take

OP
OP
Ghrommi

Ghrommi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammoniak 0
Nitrit 0
Nitrat 5
Phosphat 0.05
pH 8.3
KH 6.1
Calcium 360

I realize my KH is pretty low, I probably need to tinker it a bit to get to at least 7.
Flow is strong enough to move tentacles, but not polyps themselves.
The tank is only 3 month old.

Last edited:

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammoniak 0
Nitrit 0
Nitrat 5
Phosphat 0.05
pH 8.3
KH 6.1
Calcium 360

I realize my KH is pretty low, I probably need to tinker it a bit to get to at least 7.
Flow is strong enough to move tentacles, but not polyps themselves.
The tank is only 3 month old.
That makes sense it’s a new tank... you’re tank is too new so you’re likely to run in to some problems until it starts to mature and diversify no problem though just keep all your parameters stable alkalinity I keep is 7.9 but as long as you pick a number and it doesn’t move from that then you’re good.. maybe bump up calcium to 400 or something and keep it there... temperature is a big thing like I said

OP
OP
Ghrommi

Ghrommi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try and get your temperature stable what’s your alkalinity, calcium and ph? They might be okay many of mine do it from time to time...
Sorry, accidentally published the comment to early, it now has that info.
It's hard to maintain stable temperature during the day, I live alone and don't have an AC or reef tank cooler. It's only for 2-3 weeks a year anyway.
Thanks for the help.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, accidentally published the comment to early, it now has that info.
It's hard to maintain stable temperature during the day, I live alone and don't have an AC or reef tank cooler. It's only for 2-3 weeks a year anyway.
Thanks for the help.
I didn't have an ac at first, what I did was use a USB fan to constantly lower temp and keep tank cool. Yiu definitely have to watch your evaporation and make sure that your heaters "low" point before kicking on isn't below 77.

Example
Left alone my reef reads 78.1

Even while heating up it will only go to 78. 3

When I have a fan running on it the lowest it gets and stays is 77.5 which for me is ideal.

Takes a Lil tinkering but worth it for a new tank to maintain stability.

Just watch that evap!!

OP
OP
Ghrommi

Ghrommi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have an ac at first, what I did was use a USB fan to constantly lower temp and keep tank cool. Yiu definitely have to watch your evaporation and make sure that your heaters "low" point before kicking on isn't below 77.

Example
Left alone my reef reads 78.1

Even while heating up it will only go to 78. 3

When I have a fan running on it the lowest it gets and stays is 77.5 which for me is ideal.

Takes a Lil tinkering but worth it for a new tank to maintain stability.

Just watch that evap!!
That's a thing worth looking into, thanks!

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow zoa keepers, does anyone know why polyps would turn into such a weird shape? There are like this for a few days already.
Only these two polyps look like this, others look normal. Zoa also seems to be healthy otherwise, new polyps are growing.
Could it be due to a high temperature? It's hot in my area at the moment. I cool it down when I'm home, but the tank gets up to 28°C (82.4°F) during the day.
That's my first and only zoa, I want it to be well :(
DSC_6046.jpg
I would honestly invest the few dollars it cost to pick up a dual control unit from say inkbird. Hook a fan into the ac side and you heater into the heat side. Set it to switch the fan on when your tank goes 1 degree above what you want it to be. That’s what I do. Has helped tremendously! And I like the redundancy on my heater just in case it get stuck on! Do you have a lid on your tank? I did on my biocube 16 and removing the lid has kept the tank perfect! But i do have more evaporattion. Which means either an ato ( which is what i went with) or hand top off ever day or few days

Here is the inkbird dual stage control unit
Inkbird ITC-308S Aquarium Heating...

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would honestly invest the few dollars it cost to pick up a dual control unit from say inkbird. Hook a fan into the ac side and you heater into the heat side. Set it to switch the fan on when your tank goes 1 degree above what you want it to be. That’s what I do. Has helped tremendously! And I like the redundancy on my heater just in case it get stuck on! Do you have a lid on your tank? I did on my biocube 16 and removing the lid has kept the tank perfect! But i do have more evaporattion. Which means either an ato ( which is what i went with) or hand top off ever day or few days

+ 1 this suggestion if you have some extra cash. If you don't like ink birds there is also baylite. Those 2 new reefer friendly brands R2R seems to like.

OP
OP
Ghrommi

Ghrommi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I actually did get dual control unit with my Aqua-Medic heater, I guess it's time to fully use it.
I do not have a lid, so I already have quite a bit of evaporation. Having an ATO would be nice, right now I add the water manually. Well, it actually makes more sense to do it manually now, as I freeze it beforehand in small portions as one way to cool the tank down.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did get dual control unit with my Aqua-Medic heater, I guess it's time to fully use it.
I do not have a lid, so I already have quite a bit of evaporation. Having an ATO would be nice, right now I add the water manually. Well, it actually makes more sense to do it manually now, as I freeze it beforehand in small portions as one way to cool the tank down.
Can also float bags of ice!

I personally top off my system as well as I like the hands on and it usually leads me to check more stuff while I'm there

Best of luck with your reef!!

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love my ATO. I have a small 16 gal tank with. A 2.5 fuge. When I come home from work I don’t want to mess with the tank after work. It’s my enjoyment time! Sunday is my day that i usually do my upkeep maintenance

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love my ATO. I have a small 16 gal tank with. A 2.5 fuge. When I come home from work I don’t want to mess with the tank after work. It’s my enjoyment time! Sunday is my day that i usually do my upkeep maintenance
What kind of ato do you use

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of ato do you use
One of these

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these
How long have you had it? Any cons to share? Worried about making a mess or flooding my tank with ro wanna try to get an ato that works around my doing stupid with least amount of error possibilities

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it? Any cons to share? Worried about making a mess or flooding my tank with ro wanna try to get an ato that works around my doing stupid with least amount of error possibilities
I did a lot of reading about it. I’ve had it for a few months. It has a fail safe and it’s German made.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%

Back