My Zoathids are "melting"

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's causes Zoas to "melt"? I have some Miami hurricanes/greenbay packers that were growing invasively for over a year, now they their melting... Let me get some pics...

From about 2-3 months ago...
_MG_6248.jpg

Typed on the go using an iPhone via Tapatalk- forgive any typos

OP
OP
dgiglio3087

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do any changes to the tank? lights, powerheads, water changes, place on tank?

Okay so here's what's different, my phosphate is pretty high. Normally 0.0ppm per Hanna checker, now 0.14ppm. Not sure why, tank is 210g+55g sump, but I'm running 3 gfo reactors (1 dual, one single) and a pellet reactor. Also my magnesium got out of Wack. I should also mention that I have minimal fish, maybe 15 fish total, 10 of them are blue green chromis

Last edited:

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once you get your phosphate down id try giving them some kind of vitamin c supplement. i had this problem with some darth mauls and though i was gonna lose them but someone recommended trying vitamin c so i started dosing aquavitro's fuel product and within a week they were back to normal spreading

OP
OP
dgiglio3087

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once you get your phosphate down id try giving them some kind of vitamin c supplement. i had this problem with some darth mauls and though i was gonna lose them but someone recommended trying vitamin c so i started dosing aquavitro's fuel product and within a week they were back to normal spreading

Hmm ya know I was using fuel, until I recently ran out. I wondering if that has anything to do with it.

I didn't know Zoas were so picky, I mainly collect sps, but recently started to get some different Zoas after having a few sps pieces die on me. I thought they wouldn't be so delicate.

I realized last night why my phosphates were so high, I have a pair of clowns that are on the verge of spawning age/size and I've been food them extra pellets, which I think has added extra phosphate in the tank.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just find that the vitamin c supplement has helped tremendous with my zoas and has somehow stopped the melting of my mauls, so i just keep on keeping on as long as it works lol

OP
OP
dgiglio3087

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are dinoflaggettes start doing hydrogen peroxide 1ml per 10gallons daily for atleast 7 days...
With a big word like that you must know something I don't... Lol
Are you talking about that brownish film on one of the polyps?
Can anyone else add more to this theory?

mark7x77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried moving the zoas to a different part of the tank where there may be more flow? I'd also try cleaning off the brown stuff since zoas hate being covered since it prevents them from getting light.

As far as parameters, slightly dirty water has always been good for my Z&P growth.

Good luck.

oceangirl2009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar situation, I did a quick dip in peroxide. I pulled them out in a separate container and added peroxide just until the bubbles started to form and left it in for a couple of minutes. This combined with daily (or semi daily) dips in CoralRx, and they are looking a lot better.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back