Mysis Shrimp Reanimated!!

Ryan8696

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm running a 400l tank with only 2 clowns (I have it as a coral garden). I have been feeding the clowns a small amount of mysis every few days between their normal diet.

Last night after inspection the tank I found about 20 uneaten mysis shrimp that have come back to life!

They on and in the rocks, near and under the coral, walking along the sand etc.

Is this something I should worry about? The clowns don't seem interested in eating them....

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I have never heard of this before. It sounds like the shrimp version of cryogenics. Was it from a name brand package of frozen food? Can you get a pic under white lights? Blue lights might be fine but white lights are usually better.

I assume these guys are fine but I'm sure other members will give their thoughts. It's surprising your clowns haven't gone after them.

OP
OP
R

Ryan8696

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even better - I have a video - It's a proper brand food etc.

The clowns prefer their pellets for some reason - also - excuse the dirty glass!

Last edited:

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The clowns prefer their pellets...

That is wild! I can't wait for others to add their thoughts. I've been feeding frozen mysis to all of my tanks for a long time and have never seen this. Is it possible they're some kind of other creature that's suddenly making an appearance?

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The clowns prefer their pellets for some reason - also - excuse the dirty glass!

Those seem more like amphipods to me that probably hide during the day. Mine only come out at night.

OP
OP
R

Ryan8696

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly have no idea - they only started appearing after I started feeding them mysis shrimp...I've fed the same food to my other tank with fish and i've never seen them - I suppose they get eaten...

Are amphipods a problem?

OP
OP
R

Ryan8696

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Chipchipmofo - are you able to confirm whether it has to be a Pink wrasse? Or will any wrasse do?
The store I go to has a limited range...

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Chipchipmofo - are you able to confirm whether it has to be a Pink wrasse? Or will any wrasse do?
The store I go to has a limited range...
@i cant think maybe can you confirm what wrasses are best for this? Imo Labroides and Pseudocheilinus should be fine, right? Also Halichoeres should be good. Maybe for 400 litres a Halichoeres Chrysus would be a good fit.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This made me chuckle b/c I had the same sort of thing happen once when I was feeding freeze dried daphnia in a FW tank. I thought the daphnia had come back to life, but it turned out my tap water has copepods that were beginning to proliferate.

I wouldn’t worry about amphipods. I’ve got many in my tank and find them to be beneficial. No need to add new livestock just to get rid of them, unless it’s a fish you really want anyway.

OP
OP
R

Ryan8696

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lyss, although after posting this i've been reading up on amphipods and apparently when they are hungry enough they can start eating coral - have you ever found that to be true?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lyss, although after posting this i've been reading up on amphipods and apparently when they are hungry enough they can start eating coral - have you ever found that to be true?
Hotly debated here, but I've found it true that they DO eat HEALTHY THRIVING CORALS.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they are detrivores. I consider them part of the CUC and beneficial microfauna. My feeling is that ppl see them on corals either cleaning up algae or dead tissue on a struggling coral and think they did the damage. Kind of like thinking your Nassarius snails murdered another CUC member when they’re just taking care of the body.

I keep their populations in check w/periodic gravel vac. And I see my female clown hunt them sometimes.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm running a 400l tank with only 2 clowns (I have it as a coral garden). I have been feeding the clowns a small amount of mysis every few days between their normal diet.

Last night after inspection the tank I found about 20 uneaten mysis shrimp that have come back to life!

They on and in the rocks, near and under the coral, walking along the sand etc.

Is this something I should worry about? The clowns don't seem interested in eating them....
Time to start a religion!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they are detrivores. I consider them part of the CUC and beneficial microfauna. My feeling is that ppl see them on corals either cleaning up algae or dead tissue on a struggling coral and think they did the damage. Kind of like thinking your Nassarius snails murdered another CUC member when they’re just taking care of the body.
Maybe yours are just wimps. Mine have no problems going after beautiful healthy corals. I can literally see fluorescent tissue in their digestive tract.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe yours are just wimps. Mine have no problems going after beautiful healthy corals. I can literally see fluorescent tissue in their digestive tract.
Are we talking about the same thing? How giant are your amphipods that you can see their digestive tract?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking about the same thing? How giant are your amphipods that you can see their digestive tract?
Well, it's easy to see when they are full of GFP! These are the tiny scud type amphipods. Maybe a quarter of a cm. They glow the same color as the mushroom patch they live under.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back