Mysterious disease killing fish

saltwaterfishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m not sure what to do, I have two tanks one is perfectly fine and has been running for 4 years and we even have sharks, and this one has been running for 2, we recently added a file fish along with a valitini puffer, everything was fine untill about 3 days ago, I found the old valitini dying on the ground we scooped him up and put him in a different tank he died within the next hour, he had cloudy eyes before he died then two of my clowns died within a hour, then my powdered blue tang started rapidly breathing along with the damsel fish we moved them to another tank with water from my shark one, the rapid breathing hasn’t gone down and the parameters and oxygen are perfectly fine, I don’t know what to do, if anyone could give an idea, that would be nice!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello, I’m not sure what to do, I have two tanks one is perfectly fine and has been running for 4 years and we even have sharks, and this one has been running for 2, we recently added a file fish along with a valitini puffer, everything was fine untill about 3 days ago, I found the old valitini dying on the ground we scooped him up and put him in a different tank he died within the next hour, he had cloudy eyes before he died then two of my clowns died within a hour, then my powdered blue tang started rapidly breathing along with the damsel fish we moved them to another tank with water from my shark one, the rapid breathing hasn’t gone down and the parameters and oxygen are perfectly fine, I don’t know what to do, if anyone could give an idea, that would be nice!
Preliminarily , it sounds like velvet but will need Pics and even videos under white lighting to do an assessment.
Any change in temp or salinity?
Any foeign materials such as someone sticking fingers in tank, or added something without your knowledge?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Can you post a video?
It does sound like velvet (Amyloodinium) but have you recently added any new fish?

Velvet is tough to cure once fish loss has occurred - typical treatment is coppersafe in a treatment tank but that can take 3 days to start to work.
A hydrogen peroxide dip, 30 minutes at 100 ppm going in to the copper treatment can buy you some time though.

Jay

OP
OP
S

saltwaterfishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preliminarily , it sounds like velvet but will need Pics and even videos under white lighting to do an assessment.
Any change in temp or salinity?
Any foeign materials such as someone sticking fingers in tank, or added something without your knowledge?
Turns out it was velvet and it’s being treated right now

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 75.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.9%
Back