mysterious gelatinous egg mass

Peter Houde

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 28, 2021
Messages
409
Reaction score
343
Location
New Mexico, USA
What state or country do you live in
New Mexico
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you identify this large (~5cc) gelatinous mass of eggs? The gelatinous mass is very cohesive. The eggs are tiny (<<1mm) and widely dispersed within it. The only things large enough in my tank to have laid them are a Hippopus clam, banded coral shrimp (hardly seems big enough and also hanging out on the opposite end of a 6 foot tank), regal and powder brown tangs, and one spot foxface, unless there are large crabs hiding somewhere deep in the rock work. Also, it doesn't look like I'd expect the eggs of any of these to look like, except maybe the shrimp. I put the eggs in my quarantine tank for now, but I can't imagine that they could be fertile and develop since I have only one of each of the above. I think it's safe to assume that the mass wasn't produced by any of my corals and that a frog didn't hop along through my house and deposit eggs in my aquarium 😉

1748998969986.jpeg
1748999002484.jpeg
 
There's a strawberry conch in there somewhere. It doesn't seem large enough to have laid such a mass, but who knows? I have ceriths and nerites, but their eggs don't look anything like this.
 
Yeah, ceriths tend to be in a tight pattern, I’m less sure about nerites but I know my tiny trochus snails lay decent size egg masses that look similar to that. If I recall conches tend to be fairly organized in egg laying as well? Hold me to none of this except: my small trochus lay similar egg masses.
 
I also have a banded serpent star in the tank, for whatever that's worth
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new