Mystery coral pt 2

flyingtouchdown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously made a post about this coral I bought from my lfs where they don’t really speak English. No one could tell me what it was when I asked on here before but some things have changed with it so I figured I’d post again to see again if anyone knows what it is plus I think it’s interesting. When I made my first post, this coral was just starting to uncrust it’s frag. Soon after I made that post I did a bit of rescapeing in my tank and I moved this mystery coral to my sand bed. Before the rescapeing it was in moderate flows but after it was in one of the highest flow areas of my tanks. In about a month, this coral had about tripled in size and had litterally starting to encrust my sand bed. It would hit a shell in the bed and just grow over it. It was easy to remove, with just a little force it would come up off the sand bed. Recently when I was getting some cyano off my sand bed I accidentally broke off a section of the coral that had grown onto a shell. I thought I had done a lot of damage to the coral. However it never even closed. The section on the shell separated cleanly and the coral never even closed. I decided to try again and like I thought it comes apart really easily and doesn’t seem to care. Sections break off easier than any other coral I’ve seen and it doesn’t even seem to need to heal after. I decided to move all the larger shells in my tank near the colony and to my shock the coloney almost seemed to move itself onto the shells. It’s almost like most of it crawled off the sand bed. I was really surprised I’ve never seen a coral like this. I’ll include a pic to show what I mean. One section of it is closed right now because my lights are out. It almost looks like xenia but isn’t feathery and encrusts things.

image.jpg

OP
OP
F

flyingtouchdown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one speaks english at ur lfs? Lol.
Find another lfs if u can.
I would but at the other fish stores I’ve had fish and coral die for no reason and at the one where they don’t speak English I’ve never had anything just up and die for no reason plus it’s right next to my house

OP
OP
F

flyingtouchdown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would help, but only Xenia can grow like the OP described.
I have traditional Xenia in my tank and they seem to really like low flow. The mystery coral really seems to thrive in rly high flow so that makes me think it’s not Xenia.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back