Mystery Damsel and clown Death!

aswin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all, I have 10 gallon fowlr cycled it for 30 days and added a blue damsel after 4 minutes of fw dip he was heavy breathing and got normal ate and started digging the substrate all of a sudden he was on his side with fins and gills are torn up he was heavy breathing and eventually passed out.
2 weeks after running the tank fallow I decided to try out a single clown exhibited heavy breathing and this time did a fw dip and ruled out flukes. No abnormalities observed on exterior no ich, velevet or brook signs except for heavy breathing, fin rot and low appetite and he too passed . Am attaching the fin damages observed on the damsel below.
The damsel lasted only 4 days in my tank and the clown for about 5 days yet no external signs what actually could be causing this any idea?

IMG_3560.jpeg IMG_3558.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the Fw dip being too much. I never do those unless advised by fish medics. I wouldnt do them to add fish to the tank. What are your parameters? @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081 may have an idea to whats going on. Im wondering if it is circulation and oxygen. Are you using RODI water for your tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Greetings all, I have 10 gallon fowlr cycled it for 30 days and added a blue damsel after 4 minutes of fw dip he was heavy breathing and got normal ate and started digging the substrate all of a sudden he was on his side with fins and gills are torn up he was heavy breathing and eventually passed out.
2 weeks after running the tank fallow I decided to try out a single clown exhibited heavy breathing and this time did a fw dip and ruled out flukes. No abnormalities observed on exterior no ich, velevet or brook signs except for heavy breathing, fin rot and low appetite and he too passed . Am attaching the fin damages observed on the damsel below.
The damsel lasted only 4 days in my tank and the clown for about 5 days yet no external signs what actually could be causing this any idea?

IMG_3560.jpeg IMG_3558.jpeg
A FW dip is often performed to offer temporary relief from gill flukes, mucus with brook and to seek possibility of flukes. It is however also a risk to a given fish and fish should be observed for stress. You can safely do dip up to 5 minutes but aerating the water reduces risk.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back