Mystery hitchhiker

Dave Forrester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, picked up a secondhand Resun AIO last week (intend on starting a new thread with my progress ☺️) with live rock/sand and noticed this little guy poking his head out of one of the rocks earlier , anyone point me in the right direction as to what it is ?

383E422B-2DBF-46E0-9653-5063BB3ED115.jpeg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia or a pest anemone. 99% positive on the first.

Best to get rid of him with a srynge or boiling water, vinegar, or using a product like Aiptasia X. You could also cover them with kalk paste.

Be aware that they can release spores so you are best to inject right into their mouths or completely cover them in kalk paste to ensure eradication.

OP
OP
Dave Forrester

Dave Forrester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, picked up a secondhand Resun AIO last week (intend on starting a new thread with my progress ☺️) with live rock/sand and noticed this little guy poking his head out of one of the rocks earlier , anyone point me in the right direction as to what it is ?

383E422B-2DBF-46E0-9653-5063BB3ED115.jpeg

Slightly clearer pic

EEE4A1FF-EC43-46D1-8675-25BC5C546CF2.jpeg

OP
OP
Dave Forrester

Dave Forrester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, think I’m either going to go the peppermint shrimp way to start as no other corals etc in my tank yet anyway or just give it a nice refreshing drink of lemon juice for breakfast

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, think I’m either going to go the peppermint shrimp way to start as no other corals etc in my tank yet anyway or just give it a nice refreshing drink of lemon juice for breakfast
I'd recommend the latter. No guarantee the shrimp will do the job and if it does you'll likely release spores and see more pop up.

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt. Aptasia. Not good. Peppermint Shrimp will take it out. Course they took out my Acans too. Banished from my system.
I have never heard of a peppermint shrimp taking out acans.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of a peppermint shrimp taking out acans.

Look around enough and I’m sure you’ll find quite a few horror stories about peppermints taking out LPS.. I used to have 2 in my 30g before they ganged up on my elegance coral.

‘Ph down’ is another good way to kill of those aptasia.. just inject a bit into their mouths (similar to using lemon juice) <— although this is actually the first time I’ve seen that suggested

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They ate the centers right out of both Acans the night after I got the corals. Found them there, happily munching away the next morning. Multiple heads too. None survived. :( NEVER trust a crustacean.

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad I saw this thread. I have some nice acans I'm really proud of ans I was going to get a peppermint shrimp to clean up a patch of aptasia.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad I saw this thread. I have some nice acans I'm really proud of ans I was going to get a peppermint shrimp to clean up a patch of aptasia.

I still don’t hesitate to keep/ recommend peppermints.. just be aware that certain individuals, if not fed enough, will go after some LPS

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don’t hesitate to keep/ recommend peppermints.. just be aware that certain individuals, if not fed enough, will go after some LPS
Trust me. The little buggers were getting fed plenty. I would intentionally target feed them just to be sure nothing like what happened, would happen. So I have banished crustaceans from my tank and when my Blue-legged and Scarlet hermits expire, they will not be replaced. It's too bad, because I'm a big fan of biodiversity and I understand animals do what they're programmed to do by nature. Just not a big fan of throwing money at shrimp.o_O

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back