Mystery Illness in Firefish

Salomlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 firefish used to be very active, now I can only find two and they're virtually catatonic. All the other fish in the tank are very active and eating alot. But my Sleeper Gold Head Goby also recently disappeared. Don't know what is going on! Water levels all are normal, been doing regular water changes, etc. Attached a pic of one of the firefish. It appears to have a wound on its side?

Any suggestions how to figure out this mystery?

Thanks!

Seth
IMG_1137.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can treat it with Melafix. That will normally cure most things… and won’t harm the fish if nothing actually is wrong.

OP
OP
S

Salomlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
How long is the melafix course of treatment? I've found that the instructions on the boxes notoriously under estimate the duration of treatment.

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
How long is the melafix course of treatment? I've found that the instructions on the boxes notoriously under estimate the duration of treatment.
Typically 7 days or so is what I have found. However if your fish doesn’t seem to improve much over that time you can go longer. Just try To add the same amount everyday cause if you add a lot one time and then only a little the next it will mess up the process. (The label will tell how much you need to add) Hope he feels well soon!

OP
OP
S

Salomlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can treat it with Melafix. That will normally cure most things… and won’t harm the fish if nothing actually is wrong.
Thank you. the fire fish died, but I've used Melaflix to treat a similar mystery illness/symptons in other fish. However, those fish temporarily improved, but then, ultimately died.

Could you please advise what course of treatment you use with Melaflix?

The bottle says just 3 days. I tried that before, but that didn't work.

Any guidance/suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Seth

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back