Mystery sps dying

Grifflane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a mystery sps a little over a month ago, was thriving the first day and then shrunk down and has been looking like this ever since. Sometimes it opens up a little for about an hour then closes back up. All my parameters are fine including calcium at 420.

Also cannot seem to keep a snail alive anymore either. I do weekly 5gal water changes with 0ppm rodi water and red sea salt .. sometimes I go a couple weeks.

I have a biocube 32 which has been stabilized and cycled for almost a year now.

I have a clown fish, pistol shrimp that never comes out or messes with anything, and probably 1 snail that's alive. I immediately remove the shell and do a water change when one dies.

20210823_230602.jpg

flyfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What are we looking at? Is this your only sps? You need to try a few pieces not just one. Could be specific to that piece, could be many other things....

Get a water test done to make sure you dont have metal in tank if all the other basics check out. Its a silent killer...

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk: 8
Phosphate: .2ppm
Nitrate: 0
No nitrates isn't good. Need some for corals to use. Also for algae to grow to feed your snails. I have an SPS dominant tank and keep my nitrates around 20ppm.

Are you sure that's an SPS? Almost looks like a piece of a softie like a leather or toadstool.

OP
OP
Grifflane

Grifflane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No nitrates isn't good. Need some for corals to use. Also for algae to grow to feed your snails. I have an SPS dominant tank and keep my nitrates around 20ppm.

Are you sure that's an SPS? Almost looks like a piece of a softie like a leather or toadstool.
They said it was a sps and it had a bunch of little arms sticking out. I'll bring a water sample in and have them test it for copper and such, didn't know that could be a factor. I'll also adjust my nitrates. Thanks!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back