Mystery Wrasse in QT - Added copper 1 week ago, blemishes showing or just natural coloration?

lukestrothman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 3 fish in QT. Midas, Flame Hawk, and Mystery.

Added copper last week and have done 100% change every 3 days ( so two so far ). Keeping copper around 1.8-2.0 since wrasses can be sensitive. It seems this coloration developed within the last day or two, but I could be off my rocker. Pectoral fins appear to have some blemishes / splotches, not ich-ish , but cauliflower like maybe which I've heard is harmless?

My next water change is planned for tomorrow. At this point, I've seen no signs of scratching or ich on other fish in the 10 days I've had them (first 3-4 were copperless for observation) then added copper as preventative measure.

Do I stop copper? Isolate Mystery? Wait?

I don't see any aggression in fish, all eating well.

I've read every QT post under the sun so I know this is yet another QT question, but I'm a bit torn on which direction to go from here.

Videos and photos below:

1695246335039.png

OP
OP
L

lukestrothman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update, I just did a 90% water change with fresh salt no copper. Ammonia was up slightly, but not by much. Wrasses in general I just don’t think do well with copper. I’m considering just moving him to the DT, at this point.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update, I just did a 90% water change with fresh salt no copper. Ammonia was up slightly, but not by much. Wrasses in general I just don’t think do well with copper. I’m considering just moving him to the DT, at this point.
What copper were you using?
Wrasse easily handle coppersafe up to 2.5 ppm, removing it leaves all three fish at risk for protozoan infection.
What was the actual ammonia reading before the water change?
I really wonder if the flame hawk isn’t tagging the wrasse? You won’t see it happen, over in a split second, but that can leave visible lesions like this.
Jay

OP
OP
L

lukestrothman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What copper were you using?
Wrasse easily handle coppersafe up to 2.5 ppm, removing it leaves all three fish at risk for protozoan infection.
What was the actual ammonia reading before the water change?
I really wonder if the flame hawk isn’t tagging the wrasse? You won’t see it happen, over in a split second, but that can leave visible lesions like this.
Jay
It was barely green on the ammonia alert, I’ve been doing full changes every 3-4 days and feeding very lightly.

You may be right… the mystery was in qt a week before the flame and Midas were added. Maybe it’s time to isolate the flame and redose copper? Thoughts?

I have enough water on hand to setup a separate Qt.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was barely green on the ammonia alert, I’ve been doing full changes every 3-4 days and feeding very lightly.

You may be right… the mystery was in qt a week before the flame and Midas were added. Maybe it’s time to isolate the flame and redose copper? Thoughts?

I have enough water on hand to setup a separate Qt.
I’m always worry about setting up QT on the fly - no beneficial bacteria. What about a tank divider? It might not be the hawk fish, that was just a thought.
Is the wrasse still eating well?

Jay

OP
OP
L

lukestrothman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m always worry about setting up QT on the fly - no beneficial bacteria. What about a tank divider? It might not be the hawk fish, that was just a thought.
Is the wrasse still eating well?

Jay
Yes, eating well.

Not sure if I have anything to divide the tank. Any home remedy ideas? Shoot.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, eating well.

Not sure if I have anything to divide the tank. Any home remedy ideas? Shoot.

Just not eggcrate! Wrasse tend to get their heads injured by that. Back in the day, you could buy soft plastic tank dividers at pet stores.

Amazon has a variety of tank dividers like this one:

Jay

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back