mystery zoa ailment, please help

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, I got these zoas about 3 weeks ago, put them on this shelf see pics, then about 2 and half weeks later they started not opening up and looking like in the pictures. any ideas? all other zoas on the same shelf are okay and doing well, see pictures. I put them way down low by them selves as close to the sand bed as possible. see pictures. also dipped them in Revive. I have zoas everywhere in my system, these are the only ones like this. the PAR at the shelve is 80-100. alk is 8.50, cal 425, potassium 1400. controlled by and dosed,Apex Triten. I do weekly water changes of 40 gallons, I have a 150 gallon tank. nitrate is around 15, phosphate .08. salinity is 35.3, ph around 8.0 to 8.2. temp at 80.

should i dip them in something? keep them in the near dark till they open? keep them isolated? is it contagious to the other zoas? no pest came off of then when I dipped.

thumbnail_IMG_6786.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6802.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6803.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6805.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6806.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6807.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6808.jpg the affected ones are the ones on the shelf top left and bottom right in the top pictures. they were top left Rastas, and bottom right Sunny D's

TAttel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant see anything on them though to think pest and you have a handle on your lighting and parameters so I am stumped. I have run into this with zoas sometimes and I use an iodine based dip and find it gets them to open up.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hard to say what's going on with them. I'd suggest trying a round of Furan-2 dips. IMO Revive sucks for turning around zoas. Furan-2 targets both gram negative and positive bacteria so you get more bang for your buck. It's also not as harsh as Revive or Hydrogen peroxide and its a bigger hammer than lugols. Though, when doing a furan-2 dip I immediately follow it with a lugols bath before returning the frag to the system.

OP
OP
P

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say what's going on with them. I'd suggest trying a round of Furan-2 dips. IMO Revive sucks for turning around zoas. Furan-2 targets both gram negative and positive bacteria so you get more bang for your buck. It's also not as harsh as Revive or Hydrogen peroxide and its a bigger hammer than lugols. Though, when doing a furan-2 dip I immediately follow it with a lugols bath before returning the frag to the system.
with the Furan-2 dip, . . 1 packet (2 grams) per cup of water. I dip for 20 minutes. then I follow up with a dip in iodine which I make the water like a weak tea color, for 20 minutes. question is do you keep this up day after day until completely gone, or do you give it a break even though you still see spots?

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The furan-2 dip can be put in 2-3 cups of water- everything else is correct. As for the iodine no more that 2-3 drops in 2-3 cups of water. Lugols is very concentrated and and the line between therapeutic and toxic is pretty fine. In short, with iodine, less is more. Additionally, no more than 5-6 mins in the iodine bath.

usually I’ll go 4 days on and then a day or 2 off before beginning all over again. Sorta like taking antibiotics you wanna complete the cycle and knock out the problem.

I just happen to be up dippinga blue rhino that’s been having issues. This is what it looks like in the first bath.

B09C216F-568C-47EF-80D8-EFFC117260C5.jpeg

OP
OP
P

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The furan-2 dip can be put in 2-3 cups of water- everything else is correct. As for the iodine no more that 2-3 drops in 2-3 cups of water. Lugols is very concentrated and and the line between therapeutic and toxic is pretty fine. In short, with iodine, less is more. Additionally, no more than 5-6 mins in the iodine bath.

usually I’ll go 4 days on and then a day or 2 off before beginning all over again. Sorta like taking antibiotics you wanna complete the cycle and knock out the problem.

I just happen to be up dippinga blue rhino that’s been having issues. This is what it looks like in the first bath.

B09C216F-568C-47EF-80D8-EFFC117260C5.jpeg

i use straight iodine,not logos. I make it so that it's like a weak tea color. I've shortened the dip time as you suggested. also I noticed that the outer layers of skin on the polyps seem to be coming off. is this normal?

OP
OP
P

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you decide to start over again or not? if there are still pimples then you start again? or will it continue to get better after the dip, and I should wait to see if the pimples multiple?

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Right on about the iodine- lots of different products can get the job done.

It is usual to see them ‘shed’ or slough off an outta layer of tissue.

it’s been my experience that 2 cycles usually gets the job done. I have done it up to 4 cycles - nearly a month- before but that was an extreme cause. I keep going until the polyps look visually back to normal.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Furan 1 pack to 1 cup of tank water for 10-15min. Do this for three days once a day. Repeat in one week if needed. I noticed that I would have some problems with some zoas before so found out they need lots of flow to clear debris off their tissue. I also get them with a turkey baster once or twice a day. I also monitor iodine concentration zoas like iodine within range

1672E44B-DCBB-4A32-9D31-344E6D0BC7EB.jpeg 102A6661-846C-45DB-B8C7-221EC9EF94AE.jpeg A4700519-6311-4393-AAC6-1BB34D6E6048.jpeg 276AF1DC-12BE-465C-9B4A-CD6065DBB036.jpeg

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you decide to start over again or not? if there are still pimples then you start again? or will it continue to get better after the dip, and I should wait to see if the pimples multiple?
If you are seeing pimples on your zoas it is zoa pox. Isolate zoas with the pox away from other zoas it will spread. The treatment for zoa pox is Furan 2

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'd add that with time you get a feel for how heavy of a hand you personally take when dipping. If you're extremely proactive and nip the problem in the bud the less aggressive you have to be with dipping and the better results you'll have. Delaying means you have to go at the problem harder.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back