Mystery Zoa melt, my search for a cure (follow my journey).

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree generally with that you are saying but at this point I am looking to try something else. My Zoa's are doing much better than there were when this whole process started but I am not getting the results i truly want and still have random issues with polyps closing and shirking. I have been doing Kalkwasser dosing for a few months now per the ACI method and have been able to lock down my PH to have swings less than .1 throughout the day. I continue to do my daily dosing per the Moonshiner's program but yet I still have problems. I noticed my ORP usually settles out around 250mV but have random drops at 110-116mV, figured what can it hurt to try Ozone on the tank to see if there is any improvement. Another super annoying thing about this tank is there seems to be a razors edge regarding algae. Even slightest bumps in P04 and algae explodes in the tank.

Hydros.jpeg
Fascinating. At this point I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier just doing a continuous 50% water change per month like some lfs are doing instead of all that dosing, buying gadgets and overall messing around. Because I don't think they have the same problems with melting zoas like we do. Maybe they do? Idk. But they wouldn't be able to afford to sell them if they did. If I had more space available I would make a small test setup for that automatic water change experiment and ignore all dosing except phosphate and nitrate there.

I suppose you don't know what could be responsible for these random orp drops? I see you have a pH of 8.5 is it deliberate to to run the tank that high?

OP
OP
Edgecrusher28

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating. At this point I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier just doing a continuous 50% water change per month like some lfs are doing instead of all that dosing, buying gadgets and overall messing around. Because I don't think they have the same problems with melting zoas like we do. Maybe they do? Idk. But they wouldn't be able to afford to sell them if they did. If I had more space available I would make a small test setup for that automatic water change experiment and ignore all dosing except phosphate and nitrate there.

I suppose you don't know what could be responsible for these random orp drops? I see you have a pH of 8.5 is it deliberate to to run the tank that high?
I have heard that a lot of commercial systems us Ozone, but for what reason I am not sure. Local store that import and sell zoa's perhaps do not hold the coral long enough for the long term issues to set in; the buyers ultimately deal with the mystery melt, but that is just speculation.

The high PH is done on purpose, I do KALK dossing at night and run a 24/7 recirculating scrubber with an o2 valve that opens and closes as needed to pin the PH around 8.5. I made a Facebook post on one of the Hydro's community pages and asked to see other peoples ORP graphs and most people who do not use Ozone have ORP's around 315-350 naturally and I can not seem to go above 250 and have drops to 160/180. Who knows, probably a dead end but I will never know until i try and at a minimum I will have a clean smelling tank with clear water.

OP
OP
Edgecrusher28

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp here goes nothing yet again. My Ozone generator is installed an operational. My ORP was pretty steady around 240/260mV regardless of what i did tank wise, such as heavy feeding, dosing, or even fasting the tank completely. From what I have gathered by asking around, most peoples tanks hover around the 300-315mV without the use of Ozone; so who knows. My initial target is going to be 300mV and I will work very slowly up from there to around 350ish.

05-03-24 OZONE INSTALLED.
Ozone.jpeg

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp here goes nothing yet again. My Ozone generator is installed an operational. My ORP was pretty steady around 240/260mV regardless of what i did tank wise, such as heavy feeding, dosing, or even fasting the tank completely. From what I have gathered by asking around, most peoples tanks hover around the 300-315mV without the use of Ozone; so who knows. My initial target is going to be 300mV and I will work very slowly up from there to around 350ish.

05-03-24 OZONE INSTALLED.
Ozone.jpeg
One remedy I tried two weeks ago was to float my melting gorilla nipples in a box and treat them with chemiclean. One measuring spoon per gallon ever two days. 4-5 days treatment time...or so.

Now they are finally recovering. In retrospect I should have treated only part of the shrinking frag so I have a control whether chemiclean was the real reason for recovery. But that's something you could try with a few of your problematic zoa frags.

As of right now I don't own any frags anymore that are afflicted with ZMS. The last ones that looked sick/sad (Magicians and Billy clubbs) finally melted away. Sadly there was no way to target treat them with chemiclean because the polyps were growing on the rockscape.

Edit: how much did that fun cost you? With all the gadgets that are required for ozone, it didn't come cheap right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Edgecrusher28

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One remedy I tried two weeks ago was to float my melting gorilla nipples in a box and treat them with chemiclean. One measuring spoon per gallon ever two days. 4-5 days treatment time...or so.

Now they are finally recovering. In retrospect I should have treated only part of the shrinking frag so I have a control whether chemiclean was the real reason for recovery. But that's something you could try with a few of your problematic zoa frags.

As of right now I don't own any frags anymore that are afflicted with ZMS. The last ones that looked sick/sad (Magicians and Billy clubbs) finally melted away. Sadly there was no way to target treat them with chemiclean because the polyps were growing on the rockscape.

Edit: how much did that fun cost you? With all the gadgets that are required for ozone, it didn't come cheap right?
Well I already had the ORP probe and Hydros controller installed. So the Ozone unit was like $280 I think; something around there.

For **** and giggles, I am going to grab a spare 40 gallon breeder tank and set it back up and test out a tap water tank with basic dechlorinator additive. If there is any noticeable benefit I will send of an ICP-MS to see what's floating around in the water.

OP
OP
Edgecrusher28

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Follow up question for you. What type of substrate do you have in your troubled tank, and are you a substrate vacuum type or leave it-be type? I noticed yet another N03 spike in the tank. It normally holds around 5-10ppm with the ATS running but out of nowhere, it bumped up to 48ppm with no real significant changes. I bought a cheap canister filter from Amazon and did a 50% substrate cleaning and there was a ton of junk coming out of it. I do have crushed coral primarily as my substrate so perhaps I need to be better at cleaning it more frequently.

Ozone observation follow-up. My ORP has since crashed after installing the Ozone generator. It ran around 320-325mV for two days and then dropped like a rock to 150-170mV and now won't go above 230mV even with the Ozone generator running at night. Maybe a probe issue maybe something else; who knows. The fun continues.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up question for you. What type of substrate do you have in your troubled tank, and are you a substrate vacuum type or leave it-be type? I noticed yet another N03 spike in the tank. It normally holds around 5-10ppm with the ATS running but out of nowhere, it bumped up to 48ppm with no real significant changes. I bought a cheap canister filter from Amazon and did a 50% substrate cleaning and there was a ton of junk coming out of it. I do have crushed coral primarily as my substrate so perhaps I need to be better at cleaning it more frequently.

Ozone observation follow-up. My ORP has since crashed after installing the Ozone generator. It ran around 320-325mV for two days and then dropped like a rock to 150-170mV and now won't go above 230mV even with the Ozone generator running at night. Maybe a probe issue maybe something else; who knows. The fun continues.
1mm sand in DT. Bare bottom in frag tank.
I try to vacuum every time I have the opportunity but I only have access to 50% of my sand bed and even then only when I temporary reposition some rocks.

Last time (some months ago) I removed detrius from my bb frag tank, I lost a fist sized caulastrea and a echinopora frag so I won't do that again.

I found a melting fire and ice frag in the frag tank so I will try the chemiclean method there. Though I think it was melting because of lack of light.

Do you have standard solution to check the orp probe?

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back