Mythed With Show Vlamingi Sick

cmoresps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a show vlamighi I have had since 2008. He has streamers,etc. Two days ago I noticed he was breathing rapidly, he is eating but breathing rapidly. No evident signs of infection. The only other thing I noticed when this started was that the skimmer went nuts pulling foam. Water tests per salifert are trate 12ppm, zero trite, zero ammonia, ph 8.0, and dkh 7.1. I have giant snails in this system and a large adult chevron tang that is breathing normally. No fighting between fish. To rule out something in the water, I moved the vlamighi to QT with fresh saltwater, still breathing heavy, but seems to be eating. No signs of infection, i would almost say it looks like symptoms of ick but no flashing, no fin flicking, no symptoms other than breathing heavy.

I dosed bactrim just in case, will be lowering salinity (1.025) to reduce stress and thinking about dosing copper as a precaution. Any other thoughts?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a video of the fish? Any ideas on what caused the skimmer to flair up?

15 years is an accomplishment. Have no idea what their life span is.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a show vlamighi I have had since 2008. He has streamers,etc. Two days ago I noticed he was breathing rapidly, he is eating but breathing rapidly. No evident signs of infection. The only other thing I noticed when this started was that the skimmer went nuts pulling foam. Water tests per salifert are trate 12ppm, zero trite, zero ammonia, ph 8.0, and dkh 7.1. I have giant snails in this system and a large adult chevron tang that is breathing normally. No fighting between fish. To rule out something in the water, I moved the vlamighi to QT with fresh saltwater, still breathing heavy, but seems to be eating. No signs of infection, i would almost say it looks like symptoms of ick but no flashing, no fin flicking, no symptoms other than breathing heavy.

I dosed bactrim just in case, will be lowering salinity (1.025) to reduce stress and thinking about dosing copper as a precaution. Any other thoughts?
Having one, can you post pics of fish under white lighting?
Nitrate 12 and ammonia zero - What kits are you testing with?
Are eyes cloudy or hazy?

Add air stone for added oxygen

OP
OP
C

cmoresps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a video of the fish? Any ideas on what caused the skimmer to flair up?

15 years is an accomplishment. Have no idea what their life span is.
they can live up to 40 years, in the past I did have two bouts with popeye on him, last one was tough to beat. I suspect as he ages, just like people dieat becomes ever more important, no on skimmer, thats what I dont get no one else has access to that room other than me

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back