N. wennerae feeding schedule and potential Florida Gulf native corals, etc.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I ordered an N. wennerae Mantis from the good folks at TBS that was received on November 13th. So far the little guy has been very reclusive, but otherwise seems to be doing well. I have a small CUC in his tank (an IM Nuvo Fusion 10 gallon), and I have been able to get him to take frozen krill, as well as bits of squid, muscles, shrimp, etc. from forceps. I'm wondering how often these animals need to eat, and about what size prey animal should I be offering. My little guy will snatch nearly everything I offer him, but I know he's not eating all of it because I'll find, for example, 3/4 of a krill floating around the tank. Clearly, I don't want water quality issues caused by a bunch of rotting food in the tank. How often should I be feeding the little spud? I've been doing every few days so far, keeping in mind that there's always a hermit or snail he can pound if he wants it, and I'm kind of trying see if he'll get hungry and venture further out from his rock stack. Any suggestions on feeding size and frequency? My Mantis is about 1.5"-2".

And, I am again seeking suggestions on any tank mates for my N. wennerae, hopefully from those with some first-hand experience. I would like to keep the Mantis tank as something of a dedicated Florida Gulf tank. Right now I have only TBS rock and sand and the Mantis. My original idea was to add some Rock Flower Anemones to this tank, which some R2R members advised would be OK with the Mantis, but then @Stomatopods17 told me this would be a bad idea as the 'nemes my sting and eat the Mantis. The Mantis is the hero here, I want him to be safe and happy first and foremost.

Are there any Gulf native corals I could add to this tank that would be safe for the Mantis? Obviously I'm thinking easy going corals that can hold up to a potentially rambunxious Mantis, as well as the less than stellar water conditions caused by such a messy feeder. Any suggestions?

What about some macro algae? I have some green Calerpa sp. that came on the rock that's growing outrageously fast. Is there something red from Florida possibly? Or Gorgonians or is there anything else I could safely house with the Mantis, ideally native to the Florida Gulf?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g breeder AIO tank with a 3" mantis I collected in the Florida Keys. I've had it for about 18 months now. It's about double the size from when I collected it.

My tank has 4 good size RFA's in the tank and I've had no issues. I also have some encrusting gorgonian and an 8"x 4" rock covered with green zoas from the Keys along with a few other zoas. I have 2 good size clownfish that I didn't really want, but were a 'rescue' from a friend who was shutting down a tank. They have been in the tank for over a year with no issues either. There are lots of snails, hermit crabs and even a sea star and an emerald crab. They all seem to get along pretty well. BTW, like most mantis shrimp, mine is very reclusive as well. I typically only see him when I feed every couple of days.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g breeder AIO tank with a 3" mantis I collected in the Florida Keys. I've had it for about 18 months now. It's about double the size from when I collected it.

My tank has 4 good size RFA's in the tank and I've had no issues. I also have some encrusting gorgonian and an 8"x 4" rock covered with green zoas from the Keys along with a few other zoas. I have 2 good size clownfish that I didn't really want, but were a 'rescue' from a friend who was shutting down a tank. They have been in the tank for over a year with no issues either. There are lots of snails, hermit crabs and even a sea star and an emerald crab. They all seem to get along pretty well. BTW, like most mantis shrimp, mine is very reclusive as well. I typically only see him when I feed every couple of days.
Thank you for your reply! I don't really mind that my Mantis is reclusive. I just thought he'd be a bit more out and about when he's hungry, but maybe he's never really been hungry between the CUC and what I offer him. He also came with 5 or 6 Gorilla Crab "snacks" and I think at least two are still in the tank.

Sounds like I'm about right feeding him every 2-3 days :) Plus, he's got a CUC and Gorilla crabs too.

We'd love to be able to have a crab like a Mithrax, Pom Pom, etc., but I'd be nervous to try since my Mantis definitely kills the Gorilla crabs. I've found little crab carcasses floating around the tank. Same with shrimp, hermits, sea stars, etc., I'd love to try, but I am very nervous.

I need to be very careful adding anything since my wife gets very attached to everything, particularly critters like crabs. She names them, and would then be upset if the Mantis got one of them. In fact, she's spotted and now named at least one Gorilla crab. I didn't have the heart to tell her why that crab was in there, so I've just casually suggested that he's not really an "aquarium crab" and that she should not get too attached to him.

I do have another tank going where we can add more typical critters and fish, but it would be nice to dress up the Mantis tank a little if I can safely, and keep it with the Florida Gulf theme.

I was thinking that Zoa's would be safe to try. I'm also thinking many of the super hardy, "beginner" corals like Xenia, GSP, Shrooms, etc. I just want to do some research and try to choose animals that would be native to the Florida Gulf. I also don't know if any of these corals could potentially hurt the Mantis. But if the Mantis knocks a rock over and it crushes any of these corals it's not a heartbreaker, and they all hold up pretty well in not so perfect water conditions. I just don't want these corals over running the tank either. I also like the encrusting Gorgonian idea, as well as maybe another macro algae, like a red one.

Lots to think about lol! Thank you for your help!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked about Gulf critters for the mantis tank. Are you anywhere near the Keys or the Gulf of Mexico?

I think your mantis would leave most corals alone. I've had to 'harvest' both encrusting gorgonians and green zoas from the tank as they were getting too big or too spread out.

BTW I have a small yellow sea cucumber from the Keys in there as well.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked about Gulf critters for the mantis tank. Are you anywhere near the Keys or the Gulf of Mexico?

I think your mantis would leave most corals alone. I've had to 'harvest' both encrusting gorgonians and green zoas from the tank as they were getting too big or too spread out.

BTW I have a small yellow sea cucumber from the Keys in there as well.
Unfortunately, I am in Upstate New York, so no where near the Keys. I am both jealous and impressed that you are collecting your own animals, I would love to do that.

My concern is mostly for the wellbeing of the Mantis. I was concerned that some of these corals may sting the mantis, especially while it's molting. And keep in mind the tank is only 10 gallons, so not a lot of real estate.

I think if Zoa's are safe, that may be a great start. Maybe I could grab four or five types and do like a Zoa garden, with some gorgonias and macro algae. That may be enough.

I do appreciate hearing about your experiences as far as what you've been able to keep with your Mantis. Thanks for the help!

SaltyCabbage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had my mantis for about 4 months so all of this is pretty new and can change in time.

I keep a royal gramma and tiger gobies (started with one now three) with my N. wennerae.

The gobies and mantis get along great, I even suspect mutualism between the two species.

The gramma has turned and attacks the mantis all the time now. They got along great till I moved, would not recommend.

I feed frozen mysis, lrs nano, frozen clams, krill, and TDO pellets. For live food I toss in 10 tiny hermits or snails a few times a month.

The tank gets fed everyday and I spot feed the mantis three times a week. I’m not sure if I’m feeding too much or too little but It’s molted twice since I’ve had it so it’s definitely eating and growing.

I keep zoas, gorgs, mushrooms, gsp, and anthelia with mine. It killed and ate one mushroom, and will “rub” the zoas every now and again. There is also a native blushing star coral that’s doing well, mantis has no interest.

Mine inspects and whacks all new frags so I wouldn’t put expensive coral in with it.

I’m debating keeping a cardinal with the mantis, it shouldn’t be nearly as aggressive as the gramma and I don’t see the mantis being interested in it.

I’ve read that people keep damsels with the mantis. I wouldn’t trust an aggressive fish like that around a freshly molted mantis, at least around mine lol.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had my mantis for about 4 months so all of this is pretty new and can change in time.

I keep a royal gramma and tiger gobies (started with one now three) with my N. wennerae.

The gobies and mantis get along great, I even suspect mutualism between the two species.

The gramma has turned and attacks the mantis all the time now. They got along great till I moved, would not recommend.

I feed frozen mysis, lrs nano, frozen clams, krill, and TDO pellets. For live food I toss in 10 tiny hermits or snails a few times a month.

The tank gets fed everyday and I spot feed the mantis three times a week. I’m not sure if I’m feeding too much or too little but It’s molted twice since I’ve had it so it’s definitely eating and growing.

I keep zoas, gorgs, mushrooms, gsp, and anthelia with mine. It killed and ate one mushroom, and will “rub” the zoas every now and again. There is also a native blushing star coral that’s doing well, mantis has no interest.

Mine inspects and whacks all new frags so I wouldn’t put expensive coral in with it.

I’m debating keeping a cardinal with the mantis, it shouldn’t be nearly as aggressive as the gramma and I don’t see the mantis being interested in it.

I’ve read that people keep damsels with the mantis. I wouldn’t trust an aggressive fish like that around a freshly molted mantis, at least around mine lol.
Hi! Thank you for your reply!

The ladies from TBS recommended their little Gobies as a good option for a fish to keep with a Mantis. I had previously found a post from someone that was keeping a small Yellow Tail Damsel with their mantis. I suggested I may try to keep a little Damsel with my Mantis in my Nuvo Fusion 10 gallon, and at least a couple R2R members told me it would be cruel to keep a Damsel in a 10 gallon tank. One person told me NO fish was acceptable in a 10 gallon. I am not so sure. I'm no expert, but I had a 10 gallon saltwater tank in like 1985 and my very first and I think last fish was a Yellow Tail Damsel, and I think it did just fine. Furthermore, there are plenty of folks at NanoReef that keep fish in small tanks, typically fish like Gobies. But I digress.....

I would love to have a fish, but would feel bad if the fish had to live in fear of the Mantis all day. That may be too much stress for most fish. But from my research and feelings, I think a small Damsel is a top choice because it's quick and savey. I know Damsels can be nasty, but I think the Royal Grammas are even more aggressive, and larger than a small Damsel. I don't think I'd risk that, I don't want the mantis getting hurt. A Cardinal may be a good option, but I think maybe too large for a 10 gallon? I have read that people tried saltwater acclimated Guppies and Mollies, both of which are technically brackish fish, but they seem to have zero knowledge of what a Mantis is and the danger it poses, and they will literally bumble right into the Mantis, which doesn't end well for the fish.

Thank you for the coral suggestions. I think the fast growing, easy going varieties are best with the mantis. Something that I won't cry if he topples the rock stock, and will grow back quickly if that does happen. Plus, they'll be inexpensive, and able to handle some pollution due to the Mantis' sloppy eating habits. I think I want to start with some Zoas, and go from there. I want to go slowly and make sure nothing will hurt the Mantis in such a small tank.

Thanks again!

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My O. Scyllarus has no issues with my Bubble tip nem so far, and gets along with my damsel. First week of January is the 1 year mark.

N. wennerae is smaller in size and much less inclined to roam about, it won't view larger prey items as food but more likely hide from them or get used to their presence. The problem with the nem is N. wennerae is a small species, labs have dropped them in nems before to see what happens and nems easily killed them, now in a tank they would likely avoid them, I genuinely never seen my O. scyllarus make physical contact with the BTA before and if it did I don't think it could be severely hurt or stuck to it, but I wouldn't keep my nem and an N. wennerae together due to the size ratio. The o. scyllarus is extremely active too, always walking around and by a certain hour just starts swimming all night long, with 2 viable burrows, its like it knows the nem is there.

A small nem probably is fine 9/10 times, but the warning label should be read, especially if something freak accident happens like dropping it in the tank and it immediately swims in the nem.

Damsels work great cause they do not have interest in inverts at all, they're territorial towards other fish in their swimming space, but not really crabs/shrimp/etc that i know of, and they would be pretty stupid to act that way vs. a mantis. They're quick and more likely to survive a mantis attack, a cardinal for example just 'hovers' there in one spot, mantis sees that like a carrot on a stick, it's just a matter of when its in the mood for it.

FWIW damsels aren't entirely safe either. I've witnessed my O.scyllarus attempt twice to catch it. One of those attempts was the O.scyllarus kinda just standing there in the middle of the tank, damsel dropped down to hover near me and after about 5 seconds of the mantis just staring at it perfectly still, did a little bolt forward with its maxillipeds (those little hands) to grab it, but didn't go for a full chase and kinda gave up after it moved. A fed mantis has no reason to waste the energy on something that fast, but immobile crustaceans they can pin down are much easier.

3 times per week feeding is correct, their stomaches are approximate to their eyes, they bury or throw out leftover food which rots so overfeeding is a huge mistake a lot of those content creator make with "large lobster kills". You can broadcast mysis and watch it swim out for some.

Corals i'm struggling to grow, both because I just suck with corals i guess, and also a large stomatopod easily knocks them down and has demolished a few LPS pieces. I'm personally a fan of gorgs, kenya trees, xenia, star polyp, etc that are easy and kinda brain-off for the most part for mantis tanks, but hard corals, which i never have luck with anyways, i especially have more difficulties with. I also find myself doing 3-5 day black outs a lot, either for battling cyano, curing shell disease, or molt.

Last edited:

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SaltyCabbage did you get the gobies at the same time as the mantis? I have a wennerae coming in from tbs in January and thinking of getting a tiger goby or two to live with him in the biocube 14 after reading this

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back