N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gill flukes?

No, due to the damage a while back it is deformed, it is very precious to me because I fed it up in a little tank to be fit enough to play in the big tank, poto = phantom of the opera, only thing with a name in the tank! ;)

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok poto convict update I have been watching it a lot.
It has learned to go into the cube at food time because the flow is less.
... because it struggles to pick things from the water column, it's lost some condition, this worries me.
If it finds something in the water column it might take 8 or 10 stabs at it, the other fish stay away.
Back to the C fish (cherub!), they spar often but the convict is using up resources.
It still grazes.
That gill cover is distorted 2 - 3 mm off where it should seat, I am at a loss as to what to do for the best for it?! :(

DSC_0347 (911x650).jpg
To be honest Simon, with situations like this I don’t know if there’s anything we can do to help them out, but hopefully If it can keep eating it will pull through, fingers crossed, or maybe and hopefully it can adapt to the injury/problem.

Ive got 2 fish in my systems with pop eye, can I help them, no, even if I could catch them and I’d probably kill or stress them trying.

Fingers crossed for you/him/her though. Hey this is me being politically correct!

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest Simon, with situations like this I don’t know if there’s anything we can do to help them out, but hopefully If it can keep eating it will pull through, fingers crossed, or maybe and hopefully it can adapt to the injury/problem.

Ive got 2 fish in my systems with pop eye, can I help them, no, even if I could catch them and I’d probably kill or stress them trying.

Fingers crossed for you/him/her though. Hey this is me being politically correct!

I swore I would never use chemicals on the tank but when it got damaged I did, the tank in general is average after the treatment, I love the little guy or girl! ;)

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a thing I have avoided doing for months and re positioned my tonga branch rock arch.
It is about two feet long and weighs about 7 kg!
I need to re scape the far end behind the island but had to do this first, it will stretch the eye farther back.
I can now fully see the swim through again which will help when I need to use the fish trap.
Before.

DSC_0356 (1024x681).jpg

After.

DSC_0358 (1024x656).jpg

Those were from yesterday, I will get pics in a bit as there is a coral I want to move. ;)
The tiger tail was cured up around the favia but decided there wasn't enough cover. :)

DSC_0371 (1024x683).jpg

Love the blue eyes. :)

DSC_0375 (1024x683).jpg

DSC_0380 (1024x779).jpg

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I put the shroom / nem in I noticed this piece of rubble that it was attached too had moved and was pointing up, it would not put it's skirt down in this area.
I tried to re position it and then snapping it off with my fingers, I had to peel it off the foot in the end, it is now very sulky again! ;)

DSC_0404 (1024x683).jpg

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The engineer goby!

Since it moved back into the display a few weeks ago it has been busy.
Not as bad as the cave goby was but enough to put strain on the tank when I don't need it.
The sand to the left was about six inches deep and that is where the goby is working today!

DSC_0401 (1024x707).jpg

There is a lot of the nepthea buried, I have been working on making this happy again for a month or so.
Monti frag sulking.
I will put my hand in daily to move sand, it was the engineer goby that accidentally killed the trachy, I noticed too late what was going on with the coral.
Already done but these were at that point. :)

DSC_0397 (1024x683).jpg

DSC_0398 (1024x683).jpg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The engineer goby!

Since it moved back into the display a few weeks ago it has been busy.
Not as bad as the cave goby was but enough to put strain on the tank when I don't need it.
The sand to the left was about six inches deep and that is where the goby is working today!

DSC_0401 (1024x707).jpg

There is a lot of the nepthea buried, I have been working on making this happy again for a month or so.
Monti frag sulking.
I will put my hand in daily to move sand, it was the engineer goby that accidentally killed the trachy, I noticed too late what was going on with the coral.
Already done but these were at that point. :)

DSC_0397 (1024x683).jpg

DSC_0398 (1024x683).jpg
My dragon goby drives me crazy. LoL. Daily dusting sand grains off lps duties. I cant imagine a reef without one tho!

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok poto convict update I have been watching it a lot.
It has learned to go into the cube at food time because the flow is less.
... because it struggles to pick things from the water column, it's lost some condition, this worries me.
If it finds something in the water column it might take 8 or 10 stabs at it, the other fish stay away.
Back to the C fish (cherub!), they spar often but the convict is using up resources.
It still grazes.
That gill cover is distorted 2 - 3 mm off where it should seat, I am at a loss as to what to do for the best for it?! :(

DSC_0347 (911x650).jpg
Just a thought, have you tried something like DD paste or mastick it will be able to pick at leisure and not miss and hopefully use less energy. If he takes to it you can then mix pellets into the paste as well

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, have you tried something like DD paste or mastick it will be able to pick at leisure and not miss and hopefully use less energy. If he takes to it you can then mix pellets into the paste as well

It grazes ok, the biggest problem is the cherub angel.
The cherub spars with it often, so the convict is using energy and breathing hard due to the disability, I re set the trap this evening, the cherub has the whole tank on edge!

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It grazes ok, the biggest problem is the cherub angel.
The cherub spars with it often, so the convict is using energy and breathing hard due to the disability, I re set the trap this evening, the cherub has the whole tank on edge!
Good luck catching it, as you know I’ve had my issues with a rogue fish...

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok trap closed and moved, things were getting sketchy in the cube with 3 of 4 tangs in there!
This is one of a few reasons the cherub has to go, they do this for like a minute or two at a time, this is why poto is losing weight!
I will try again in a couple of days.

DSC_0451 (1024x719).jpg

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else get sneeze attacks, I don't get them often but hate them, I don't think it is hayfever?
I just poured enough vodka into the cap of the bottle to get the tip of a finger wet and then sniffed that hard, eyes watered a touch but the sneezing stopped! ;)
I drank the part cap full, no vodka was wasted in this experiment! :)

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok trap closed and moved, things were getting sketchy in the cube with 3 of 4 tangs in there!
This is one of a few reasons the cherub has to go, they do this for like a minute or two at a time, this is why poto is losing weight!
I will try again in a couple of days.

DSC_0451 (1024x719).jpg

I see it as a good sign he's not taking any crap ;) looks a little fatter in that picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 161 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 56 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back