Not open for further replies.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Simon.. :)
sorry have no clue how flashlight made pink..:rolleyes:but i got em open..;):cool:
WP_20210522_12_17_50_Pro.jpg
IMG_0228.JPG
cobras :cool:

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bet its cool watching them wake up!.
I dont get to see it much yet. Corals are down in the basement at the moment and I start work at 7am. Rarely get the chance to drop down before 11 or 12. I'm thinking its going to be a long day after only 4 hours sleep:oops:

coffee plung.gif
we got this.;):cool:;Yawn

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simon I was hoping to pick your brain some about taking pictures. We have a Nikon d5100 with an 18-55 mm and a 55-200 mm lens. We cant seem to get very good closeup pictures with it. The cell phones are getting clearer closeups then the Nikon which makes no sense to me. Figure its got to be a setting we are missing.

Nice camera, I have a 5600 so yours works almost exactly the same, use it in manual mode as you will get better pics eventually.
Use the 18 - 55 to practice and remember that if something is too close you will never get it in focus.
I use the screen for focusing, aim for what you want to focus on and press the button on the right, below the toggle thing with a picture of a magnifying glass with a plus in it, press that and you will zoom in on your chosen focal point, I let the auto focus get there or there abouts, zoom in and manually tweak the focus.
This is about 10 inches from the glass with my 40 mm macro.
ISO 640 Good general setting.
F5.6
1 / 160

Right mouth focal point then left.

DSC_0033 (1024x698).jpg

DSC_0034 (1024x779) (2).jpg

Have a play but pick a coral as your test piece and play, focus on one area and see what you come up with, settings can be tweaked to give more depth of field ie more of the image in focus but you need to get a starting point.

Tip of the lens square on level touching the glass and camera horizontal!
(If that lens is tip focus and not internal you will struggle with it touching the glass, pull back 1/4 inch, auto focus, place the lens back on the glass and manually re focus or just manual focus anyway!)

Feel free to post pics here and remember different lights will require a different white balance, if you have the camera ready to take a pic go into the menu, top left on the back you can scroll through them and see what you are likely to get as an end result.

Good luck. :)

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice camera, I have a 5600 so yours works almost exactly the same, use it in manual mode as you will get better pics eventually.
Use the 18 - 55 to practice and remember that if something is too close you will never get it in focus.
I use the screen for focusing, aim for what you want to focus on and press the button on the right, below the toggle thing with a picture of a magnifying glass with a plus in it, press that and you will zoom in on your chosen focal point, I let the auto focus get there or there abouts, zoom in and manually tweak the focus.
This is about 10 inches from the glass with my 40 mm macro.
ISO 640 Good general setting.
F5.6
1 / 160

Right mouth focal point then left.

DSC_0033 (1024x698).jpg

DSC_0034 (1024x779) (2).jpg

Have a play but pick a coral as your test piece and play, focus on one area and see what you come up with, settings can be tweaked to give more depth of field ie more of the image in focus but you need to get a starting point.

Tip of the lens square on level touching the glass and camera horizontal!
(If that lens is tip focus and not internal you will struggle with it touching the glass, pull back 1/4 inch, auto focus, place the lens back on the glass and manually re focus or just manual focus anyway!)

Feel free to post pics here and remember different lights will require a different white balance, if you have the camera ready to take a pic go into the menu, top left on the back you can scroll through them and see what you are likely to get as an end result.

Good luck. :)
Thank you Simon!!! I will try and get some pics later today.

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed my carbon, 3 days I think since first introduction, finger leather has almost let go in the cube end, I pulled it briefly and it didn't smell so it is sitting on a rack and we will see.
Long range desk end view, loads of mesenterial action, hopefully growth as no damage seen there. :)

DSC_0035 (1024x767).jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
morning Simon.. :) again ..good thing too ..;Facepalm flipped on lights ,almost forgot the corals ..:oops:one of those days...;):)
WP_20210602_22_05_05_Pro.jpg
WP_20210602_22_05_31_Pro.jpg

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Simon hope your days going well!

I was able to play a bit with the camera last night but still frustrated with settings.
I was trying diff white balance settings and to getting good results. My wife swapped it over to auto and was able to get some good lighting finally. Will need to figure that out later.

Thx for the help!!

Got some pretty good closeups on this plate though.
Camera set to auto:
DSC_0050.JPG

Camera set to
ISO 640/F5.6/ 1/160 White balance Florescent (I think, I changed it a bunch);
DSC_0047.JPG

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Simon hope your days going well!

I was able to play a bit with the camera last night but still frustrated with settings.
I was trying diff white balance settings and to getting good results. My wife swapped it over to auto and was able to get some good lighting finally. Will need to figure that out later.

Thx for the help!!

Got some pretty good closeups on this plate though.
Camera set to auto:
DSC_0050.JPG

Camera set to
ISO 640/F5.6/ 1/160 White balance Florescent (I think, I changed it a bunch);
DSC_0047.JPG

Nice work so you can do it but getting that bottom pic right is tough because to get the whole thing in focus you need a bigger f stop but then compensate with either higher ISO or lower shutter speed to compensate for a darker image but the slower the shutter the less you will "freeze" polyps and tentacles.

You cool with me playing with that bottom pic?

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work so you can do it but getting that bottom pic right is tough because to get the whole thing in focus you need a bigger f stop but then compensate with either higher ISO or lower shutter speed to compensate for a darker image but the slower the shutter the less you will "freeze" polyps and tentacles.

You cool with me playing with that bottom pic?
Play away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back