Name that fish...

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this odd fish at the LFS a few weeks ago and have been thinking about it ever since. I had seen it and was intrigued by the way it moved. I never thought to ask what it was called, but I keep thinking about it. Some sort of horse fish? No, not a sea horse, it looked more like some sort of tang. I guess it's face kinda did look like a mule... but what was so different about that fish is the way it swam. Well it seemed to hop, more than swim. It was weird the way it hopped around. With each flip of it's fins, it would "hop". I have no idea what it was but I really would like to find out. Somehow. Please post your ideas and pics. When I eventually upgrade my 30g to a 55g, I would like to have that fish. That.. hopping... horse type thing.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it have been a dragonet? I know I've heard them called scooter blennies. that doesn't fit with the tang look though - I'm intrigued now to find out what it was...:)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hopping described indicates a fish with out a swim bladder, and also looked like a tang?, with a horse or mule face. Maybe a type of hawkfish?, but I dont know

OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I can see this is gonna be fun. lol Not a blenny and not a frogfish, because it wasn't on the substrate. It was swimming around mid tank, healthy as ever, but "hopped" about as it moved. Not a hawkfish. It strongly resembled the shape and size of a Tang, except for it's nose, which was kinda pointed downward and reminded me of a mule. It was mostly grey in color, but had some yellow and other colors. I duno I'm stumped but it was very cool. Not didn't really look like any kind of Dragonet either.

I googled the Eurypegasus sp and the other, and it didn't look that ugly haha. And wasn't sitting on the bottom either. It was swimming... Swimming with a hop lol

It's colors kinda resembled a Blonde Naso Tang, but it's nose was pointed more downward. It's driving me nuts lol They only had one in the tank. Temperament seemed peaceful. Wasn't bothering anything else.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea lol what did the colors look like on the fish? Were the colored areas in a pattern, was it random looking, were there stripes or shapes to colored areas? Paint us a word picture :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors were pretty solid. not random or blotchy at all. and no stripes. The fish was mostly like a grey/blue color, with some yellow around the edges. Resembled a Naso Tang in a way. Except the snout was pointed more downward. I'm soooo curious about that fish. I've searched LiveAquaria for a picture of it and came up zip. :eek:oh:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back