Nanno contamination

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I am culturing the big three Phyto strains (Tet, Nanno, and Iso). The problem I am having is that it appears my Iso culture is now contaminated with Nanno which has started taking over. My culture is a light lime green color and getting darker but has lost the distinctive yellow-gold color of more pure Iso.
To those of you who’s culture multiple strains alongside Nanno, how do you avoid contamination? It is possible that my starter culture came contaminated but it was a dark brown when I received it so it should have been pretty pure.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am culturing the big three Phyto strains (Tet, Nanno, and Iso). The problem I am having is that it appears my Iso culture is now contaminated with Nanno which has started taking over. My culture is a light lime green color and getting darker but has lost the distinctive yellow-gold color of more pure Iso.
To those of you who’s culture multiple strains alongside Nanno, how do you avoid contamination? It is possible that my starter culture came contaminated but it was a dark brown when I received it so it should have been pretty pure.
not really a way to stop it. even a few droplets can contaminate it

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture these three and cross contamination is a challenge. I recommend seperate equipment for each. I sanitize media with bleach and/or UV. I clean equipment first with a mild acid (vinegar, CLR, or citric acid), followed by 1:10 bleach, H2O2, or IPA. I filter the air using vacuum bags (air pumps in vacuum bags in an enclosure).

It's also best to keep as much space between the cultures as feasible, although I have limited space available and so they are basically right next to each other. But this is not ideal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back