OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am making this document to help other people that are looking to start a nano aquarium but can't find many sources stating which fish are compatible, well here you go! This was an especially big problem for me, and I hope to make the experience of choosing the right fish for your nano tank easier. ( its even in alphabetical order ;) )

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the mandarin off it, they are going to be very difficult to feed in that size tank, especially for beginners.
Everything else looks good, though I’d specify minimum tank sizes for each, as the requirements for a diamond goby are going to be very different from a yasha.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the mandarin off it, they are going to be very difficult to feed in that size tank, especially for beginners.
Everything else looks good, though I’d specify minimum tank sizes for each, as the requirements for a diamond goby are going to be very different from a yasha.
Or should i just put mandarin fish on advanced? I want to have them on here as this is not only for beginners

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or should i just put mandarin fish on advanced? I want to have them on here as this is not only for beginners
You can specify advanced, most people know what they’re getting into though. The big problem is how much they eat. One will quickly wipe out all the pods in a 30 gallon and require very frequent feedings, hence why I think they really aren’t a good nano fish.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not quite sure I understand the second part, they are different in the document. Yasha goby 10 gallons diamond goby 30 gallons

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would change tomato clowns to highly aggressive. 30 gallon minimum for a percula also seems very excessive, personally I think 10 is fine.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for accuracy and a learning moment for myself, whats your reasoning for Percula requiring 3x the space than an Occelaris? Aren't they nearly identical?

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re
Just for accuracy and a learning moment for myself, whats your reasoning for Percula requiring 3x the space than an Occelaris? Aren't they nearly identical?
ad that although they are smaller, they are more active and need a larger space to swim around in, if it is incorrect let me know and ill fix it right away

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ha, no problem ( you can also go down to the bottom and click on the different types of fish )
Just noticed that too lol
The rest of it looks good, though I do agree with the statement on tomato clowns.
I’d also say occys need 30 gallons out of personal experience, unless they are the only fish in the tank.
A good thing to add is the fang blennies - they are generally low maintenance (once you get them eating) and very peaceful.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed that too lol
The rest of it looks good, though I do agree with the statement on tomato clowns.
I’d also say occys need 30 gallons out of personal experience, unless they are the only fish in the tank.
A good thing to add is the fang blennies - they are generally low maintenance (once you get them eating) and very peaceful.
Yeah, I was just starting with them (fang blennies) but got bored very quickly lol I am going to do inverts (because I absolutely love inverts) then come back to it

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d probably say emerald should be semi reef safe - I’ve had some turn out to be coral eaters, others be harmless.
Pistol shrimps would be a good group to add - plenty of different species all with different levels of safety.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back