Announcing: Nano aquarium fish compatibility document!

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am here to announce the Nano fish compatibility document created over a span of a few days currently containing 83 different fish and inverts that can live in a 30 gallon or smaller aquarium. I ran into a bit of a problem as I started (and still am) setting up my first tank that is also my first nano tank which is that it was hard to find good and reliable resources on which fish I could add to my aquarium and even ended up getting an invert I shouldn't have, so I hope this help anyone looking to start a nano aquarium!

You can scroll down to see other fish and to the right to see their attributes. Don't forget at the bottom of the chart there are different types of fish, if you click on a type all the fish of that type will come up.
Of course, as this document is created by me only, I can only be so sure everything is correct so if you see something that is wrong or would like for me to add something please let me know and I will. Any feedback is much appreciated! (Scientific names are even in alphabetical order ;))

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am here to announce the Nano fish compatibility document created over a span of a few days currently containing 83 different fish and inverts that can live in a 30 gallon or smaller aquarium. I ran into a bit of a problem as I started (and still am) setting up my first tank that is also my first nano tank which is that it was hard to find good and reliable resources on which fish I could add to my aquarium and even ended up getting an invert I shouldn't have, so I hope this help anyone looking to start a nano aquarium!

You can scroll down to see other fish and to the right to see their attributes. Don't forget at the bottom of the chart there are different types of fish, if you click on a type all the fish of that type will come up.
Of course, as this document is created by me only, I can only be so sure everything is correct so if you see something that is wrong or would like for me to add something please let me know and I will. Any feedback is much appreciated! (Scientific names are even in alphabetical order ;))

I just wanted to say;
There are MANY more basslets than just 4 that fit into nano tanks. Also, the basslets scientific names aren’t in A-Z order
You’re also missing the smaller ‘Longfins’ (often sold as Basslets but aren’t truly in the basslet family).
You’re also missing about half of the Gobiidae family and if we’re being harsh, you’re missing half of each family in the Order Gobiiformes.
Also, Larabicus is a genus of wrasse that is not compatible with nano tanks. If you included Pseudocheilinus hexataenia then you’re missing about half of that genus that fits into nano tanks.

That’s just a few things I’ve seen through a quick scan :)

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to say;
There are MANY more basslets than just 4 that fit into nano tanks. Also, the basslets scientific names aren’t in A-Z order
You’re also missing the smaller ‘Longfins’ (often sold as Basslets but aren’t truly in the basslet family).

Also, Larabicus is a genus of wrasse that is not compatible with nano tanks. If you included Pseudocheilinus hexataenia then you’re missing about half of that genus that fits into nano tanks.

That’s just a few things I’ve seen through a quick scan :)
The most important factor of the order is minimum aquarium size then it goes to scientific name alphabetical order, the other things I will look into adding thank you so much

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important factor of the order is minimum aquarium size then it goes to scientific name alphabetical order, the other things I will look into adding thank you so much
If you need help with the Gobies then just ask, I have several articles that go over them. I would also personally remove Valenciennea species from the list as these are highly active and need 4’x2’ tanks in the long run. Their care also isn’t easy and should be boosted to ‘expert’ due to dietary issues (I have an article on these guys against the true watchmans as well).

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need help with the Gobies then just ask, I have several articles that go over them. I would also personally remove Valenciennea species from the list as these are highly active and need 4’x2’ tanks in the long run. Their care also isn’t easy and should be boosted to ‘expert’ due to dietary issues (I have an article on these guys against the true watchmans as well).
Ah ok should i remove them or just make them expert?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok should i remove them or just make them expert?
I would remove them in general as they need a decent sand bed depth and also a very well aged tank as when they make a ‘bright clean sand bed’ that usually shows their food source has ran out.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are pink streak wrasse aggressive? It was my impression they were one of the most peaceful.
@i cant think could probably comment better on that though.
Oh, I just looked it up and yes it seems that I was using an incorrect source, thanks for pointing that out

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are pink streak wrasse aggressive? It was my impression they were one of the most peaceful.
@i cant think could probably comment better on that though.
You are correct, the only aggression I have ever seen from this species was when my trio were establishing hierarchy between them. And honestly you can’t even call it aggression, it is literally they swim up and colour up (gaining white bands similar in looks to the juvenile Wetmorella nigropinnata’s bands) then once they’re up in the water column, they just ‘stare’ at eachother. It’s funny to watch when you can’t sleep and the lights are dimming.

This is likely to be the same with the Wetmorella’s however I cannot definitely say this currently as I don’t have a pair however my specimen I had 3 years ago showed no aggression at all.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barnacle blennies: Acanthemblemaria hancocki

Madagascar Spotted Croucher Goby (actually a scorpion fish): Caracanthus madagascariensis

Pygmy Coral Croucher Goby: Caracanthus unipinna

also LiveAquaria has a nano fish section you can reference if you haven’t already.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back